Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Just a few comments...
  • I agree that your vent hose and intakes look surprisingly oil free. Mine alway has at least a film of oil.
  • When checking your initial oil level, did you start the engine first and then check or did you check on a fresh oil/filter replacement before starting the engine? Perhaps some of your “useage” can be accountable to filling an empty filter on a fresh change?
  • What do your plugs look like? Do any look like they are starting to foul?
  • Whats the status of the valve seals? You mention rebuilding the bottom end, but what about the head? Any blue smoke when lifting off the throttle?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just a few comments...
  • I agree that your vent hose and intakes look surprisingly oil free. Mine alway has at least a film of oil.
  • When checking your initial oil level, did you start the engine first and then check or did you check on a fresh oil/filter replacement before starting the engine? Perhaps some of your “useage” can be accountable to filling an empty filter on a fresh change?
  • What do your plugs look like? Do any look like they are starting to foul?
  • Whats the status of the valve seals? You mention rebuilding the bottom end, but what about the head? Any blue smoke when lifting off the throttle?
Ken

Heres what the plugs look like. I do not see any signs of oil fouling however every time I remove them I noticed some liquid oil under their ceiling surface on the head.

The head was given a light rebuild meaning new guides stem seals and so forth. I do not observe any smoke from the tail pipe but have not had somebody follow me.

The primary symptoms are the high leak down on number one what seems to be high oil consumption and the fact that I rapidly fouled a new wideband oxygen sensor (to failure) even though I never saw numbers richer than approximately 12.4:1

All of my oil consumption numbers are measured long after any filling or changing of filters. Always cold, in the garage. I have yet to fully drain the oil and start from zero but I filled carefully to the max mark which has been the basis of the consumption numbers mentioned above

View attachment 1639358
View attachment 1639359
View attachment 1639360

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Returning to the dipstick - I don't think I realized the European cars (left) had theirs on the front cover. The sump mounted USA part does bear a different number. Triple checking: 240mm is what USA car owners see from the metal flange to MAX mark?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Your oil consumption sounds high at ~1qt every 200 miles. You’re not leaking oil so it’s going out the tailpipe somehow. Your suspects are bottom end #1 cylinder or the OVS system. Your OVS system looks dry so your prime suspect Is #1 cylinder due to the poor leak down test. At this point, I would keep driving the car if there are no driveability issues, and monitor the oil consumption and fouling of plugs/sensors. More data on oil consumption and possible fouling can’t hurt.

You might consider putting a temporary catch can on the vent hose to see how much oil you collect. I doubt it’s your OVS if you have the custom stainless steel replacement that used to be available. I have the same part... no moving parts or internals to replace. They are trouble free.

And yes, my dipstick for a US spec 105.01 measures 240mm from max lime to flange.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Good suggestions Ken.

I dismantled and cleaned up the dipstick hardware and am reinstalling the rubber piece.

How far does the tube itself go into the rubber piece? Just to its detente or all the way to the ovs nipple?

IMG_4379.jpg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Bottom it out to the tubing nipple. Over time. inserting the dipstick will force it down anyway.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Will do. This is a funky wobbly connection especially since the rubber is somewhat age hardened. Do I have the flush side oriented correctly (to the sump) ?

I found some 20mm ID clear tubing that ought to mate to the breather connection on the valve cover. Problem is most generic catch cans have a 10mm barb, or smaller. Does anyone have a catch-can side connection thats worked for them? Most such threads are more involved for race cars.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Will do. This is a funky wobbly connection especially since the rubber is somewhat age hardened. Do I have the flush side oriented correctly (to the sump) ?
Your photo shows the correct orientation. Considering the dipstick tube doesn’t have any other lateral support, the wobbly connection is normal.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks again. I seated the rubber to the sump, tube to the rubber and now have a "recalibrated" reading that is convieniently exactly 1/2 full. I'll see how many miles to MIN.

Meanwhile I'm trying to educate myself on crankcase pressure and ventilation. I believe I understand what happens once pressure leaves the port on the cam cover. What I don't understand is how pressure travels from the crank case to the cam cover, and thus its port.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
With some help from friends I now understand it’s more or less a line of sight from the oil fill cap down to the crank case. I ran the motor sans oil cap and felt steady patter of pressure and got a steady spittle of oil on a paper towel. I replaced the oil cap and did the same on the cam breather port. I felt the same steady patter of pressure but got zero liquid oil on my hand/towel.

IMG_4386.jpg

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
So I read back a few posts. Please remove your oxygen sensor, I told you watching this all the time was going to cause OCD issues.

No car has this on there dash, none! They are for tuning only. Your sensor failing is more likely because these things are now cheaply made so we can afford to play with them at our amateur level.

Why the heck Alfisti have started doing this with road cars I really don't know. We are paranoid enough car owners :)

Btw you have just proved you have normal crankcase pressure, with the paper towel test. The fact that you are not pumping oil into your air cleaner area is a good thing. Give your engine a couple of affectionate pats and drive her, and calmly monitor the oil usage; may settle down.

Or strip and rebuild a perfectly good engine ... sigh
Pete

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
In my world view the high leak down an oil consumption must be addressed. I am taking a closer look at the pressure release system now to make sure there is not some thing wrong there before I take the head off

The oxygen sensor is presently off the car with the port plugged. I never planned to have it permanently mounted. However I certainly don’t see why it is a bad thing to have some information when tuning the SPICA.

One reason the 02 is off the car is because it was fouled. I consider that to be another useful piece of information much the way fouled plugs are. I don’t believe the Bosch sensor is considered to be fragile

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Okay, your call. You'll sort it :)

Pete

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I appreciate everyone here being a great sounding board and infinite source of information. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Went out for an Absolutely perfect sunset drive around Connecticut. This photo is me crossing the Connecticut River by the Goodspeed Opera house. This morning I read the dipstick and I am just about another quarter down. In other words I have used about a half liter in 100 miles.

IMG_4394.jpg

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Yes that is excessive

Pete

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the rings are not bedded in or the rings are not staggered. or the oil is wrong,,Are you running synthetic? But if that was the case you would have tons of blow-by.. Who did the engine lower end?

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
But I gather, but might be wrong/confused, that the leak down test points to number 1 cylinder being the cause of this oil problem ... but is that even a valid comment, doesn't leak down confirm compression only? But then there cannot be a rings issue because then we would have tons of blow-by, so number 1's issue must be valve related. Same goes for bedding in, if rings hadn't bed we would have more blow-by ... unless for some reason the oil rings alone are not working correctly ...

Hoping oil is wrong. Modern oils are really thin, heck my recently sold Vitz was supposed to run 10w30, but I found 10w40 much better for oil consumption.

Best
Pete

41 - 60 of 78 Posts