Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this is of concern?
after running the engine for a minute or so, I removed the cam cover. upon removal, I noticed that the intake side cam gallery was about half-full of oil, and the exhaust side was completely full. Is this indicative of lack of oil flow to the intake side? is there any avenue for oil to drain other than the return galleries on the cover landing?
Thanks for all help
Stan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well my only guess would be because the design of the engine sits on an angle not even level on top, lower on the exhaust side than the intake.

Also less oil on the intake side because of the blow by for the cam breather hose that goes into the canister (less oil comes out).

I am sure someone might explain this better, but these are the differences I have seen.

Don't worry it is very normal having more oil on one side, there all are alike.

Giorgio

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Because of crank and cam rotation, the front exhaust cam bearing tends to get the most worn, as the chain pulls down, especially if the chain is too tight. So that cam journal could have more clearance, resulting in more oil coming out. My engines typically look this way on valve cover removal, oil spilling out the back of the exhaust side, not the intake side.
Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts