Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a '91 Spider Veloce with 19,600 miles. Drove it home, and now has 20,100 miles. I noticed when I bought it that the engine made some noise from the various "bits" that move around when it was first started and cold. Still a little noise when warm. Oil pressure was ~15 psi at hot idle and ~57 at 3000 rpm & above hot.

Two days ago I changed oil and filter (don't know mileage on oil, probably less than 1500, probably a 10W40 dino oil). I put in ~3.5 qts of Mobil 1
15W50 and 3.5 qts of Mobil 1 5W40. When I started the car, it was amazing how quiet the engine was. No 'bits' noise at all at idle. Drove it about 10 miles, and oil pressure at full operating temp was ~20 psi at idle and ~62-65 at 3000 rpm and above. I chose the blend hoping to get better circulation when cold, and have a high enough viscosity for good+ oil pressure when hot.

Posted as as my experience, and for information only. "Your Mileage May Vary"

Gary Knox
West Chester, PA

PS: found the Purolator oil filter specified in Pep Boys catalog does not fit (too large to put in without removing a lot of stuff). The one that was on the car was smaller in diameter, and I found the Pep Boys catalog specification for the '95 spider fits this '91 spider perfectly.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Hi Gary,

My 2 cents woth:

Good info good stuff, but from what I learned as an engineer at one of the oil majors, who worked on many lube oil projects with the Phd's and oil formula guru's is "Dont mix, dont add!"
They spend a lot of time coming up with stable formulas and testing them, before release to market. Then along comes a guy who adds an "oil fortifier" or such which negates or throws off the formulation. Not saying you have a problem, just pick an oil and fill the crankcase. Motor oils are complex stuff with many components.

To my mind the 5W stuff, you did not need, better with the 15W

TTFN Elio

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
^^^^^ I agree - syn 15w will provide plenty of start-up lubrication without the need for mixing and you are always better off not having too much of a spread in the #'s either - it means less additives are needed. Now, lets hope it doesn't develope any leaks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
PS: found the Purolator oil filter specified in Pep Boys catalog does not fit (too large to put in without removing a lot of stuff). The one that was on the car was smaller in diameter, and I found the Pep Boys catalog specification for the '95 spider fits this '91 spider perfectly.[/QUOTE]

FYI, I use the Purolator Pure One filter on my '86. Part # 14670. I've never had a problem with clearance.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
While I agree the 15W50 Mobil 1 would be best for use in the Alfa as-is, I doubt there is anything *wrong* with the mixed grade blend created here.

I've mixed grades of Mobil 1 in my non-Alfas for years with no ill effects - My Subaru WRX does best with a mixture of 4 quarts 0W40 and 1 quart 15W50 in the summer, and straight 0W40 in the winter.

JOe

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Low Mileage,

Since you'd "rather be at the Glen", just wanted to let you know that I'll be there this coming Monday and Tuesday with my '89 black Porsche 928 S4 track car (#829). This is a Porsche Club of America event. IF you are in the area of the Glen, drop by!!!

Gary Knox
PS: The Glen is great, but for a track, Virginia International (Danville, VA) is right up there with it - again in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts