Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a false "Oil Change Required" message showing on startup on my 2017 Giulia for a couple of months. The dealer service department says it's a "glitch in the dashboard," and they're waiting on info from FCA on how to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?
Don

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Yes, on our 2018 Stelvio. Tech says it is a reset, our car timed out within the 10k miles. Just waiting for an appointment.
Russ

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Courtesy of the Giulia Forum
"Oil Change Indicator - Reset

• To reset the oil change indicator system - message on dash, not Infotainment (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure
  • Place the ignition in the ON position. (Do not start the engine.)
  • Fully push the accelerator pedal slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
  • Place the ignition in the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
These "smart" oil change reminders aren't very. They depend on an algorithm that deduces the service interval from the rate at which mileage accumulates so that they illuminate within the time or the mileage interval more or less correctly. If mileage accumulates too slowly then the time limit triggers first. The zero mileage/ zero date is reset each time the oil is changed, or should be, by the service rep. Of course, reminder number one is measured from the date of manufacture unless the dealership remembers to reset the service interval during PDI.

I'd take this as a warning your dealer is incompetent, not a defect in the car. I hope for your sake I am wrong but if you can you should get a second opinion from a different dealership before this dealership screws up something important.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've had a false "Oil Change Required" message showing on startup on my 2017 Giulia for a couple of months. The dealer service department says it's a "glitch in the dashboard," and they're waiting on info from FCA on how to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?
Don
how you know its false? how much the car is driven with those oils?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
More related info about DIY diagnostics using a OBD II reader and an app of your choice (note-all OBD readers use same ELM chip) courtesy of the Giulia Forum:
No experience with it but I found http://www.multiecuscan.net/SupportedVehiclesList.aspx and ELM327 should work nicely

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=elm327+obd-ii

·
Supporting Vendor
4,357 Posts
For whatever reason, this is common. The one time I had the dealership change the oil on our QV they did not reset this monitor fully either. I reset it myself and now do so after I change the oil myself as well.

I can reset this monitor with the Multi ECU Scan software, and we're happy to do it for anyone local that has a hard time with this issue.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Courtesy of the Giulia Forum
"Oil Change Indicator - Reset

• To reset the oil change indicator system - message on dash, not Infotainment (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure
  • Place the ignition in the ON position. (Do not start the engine.)
  • Fully push the accelerator pedal slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
  • Place the ignition in the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."
That fixed it: I had to perform the sequence twice, and the "oil change required" message hasn't recurred since. Thanks. Too bad the servicing dealer doesn't know this trick.
Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don
Hello, My husband and I have owned several turbo engine cars. The dealer says change oil on our 2018 Stelvio every 10K, but in our experience we change oil every 5K. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Synthetic oils last longer than oils that used to be required for turbocharged engines. I ran a 1997 SAAB 9000 Aero with a once per year or 16,000 km (10,000 miles ) full synthetic oil change interval for around 80,000 miles (on top of the 50,000 miles it Harv on it when I bought it) as recommended by SAAB. There is absolutely no need to change the oil every 5,000 miles unless you don't drive that far in a year. You are going to be wasting a lot of money and oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts