Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I just had an oil change. They put in 7 quarts.
The reading on the dipstick is above the Full hole on the dipstick (by about the same distance as between the min and max 2 holes). Does this likely mean the dipstick is off, or there is too much oil in there?
How do I decide/recalibrate...?

2. What would happen if it had too much oil and I continued to use it at this new level?

Thanks,

Rich
88 Spider

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
it takes 7 quarts, in a spider slump, re-check the didstick//is it an alfa dipstick, someone ( p.o.) could have change it for some reason.. if you need a dipstick measurment, i can so this for you in the morning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that would be awesome.
I guess measuring from the bottom of the stick to where the rubber touches the dipstick canister would be appropriate.

Thanks

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
post it in the morning,, where are you in cali?

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
on my 1984 dipstick, from top of the rubber plug to lower hole.. 20 5/8"----------------------- from top of rubber plug to upper hole.19 1/2" ------------------------------ from top of rubber plug to lowest part of the dipstick..21 1/4" hope this helps..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Measure Twice, Cut Once

on my 1984 dipstick, from top of the rubber plug to lower hole.. 20 5/8" from top of rubber plug to upper hole.19 1/2" from top of rubber plug to lowest part of the dipstick..20 1/4" hope this helps..
If I understand these measurements :confused:, your first and last numbers make no sense; the bottom of the dipstick shouldn't be shorter than the lower hole by 3/8". Cause the hole would be in space...

Did you flip these??? Do I have a math problem???:D

Sorry...just the ISO auditor part of me showing...can't switchit off

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
this is from the top of the dipstick sealing rubber.. re -di my answer, perhaps clearer?

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
21 1/4 top of the rubber seal to the bottom of dipstick.............................................................................................................................. top of dipstick to upper hole 19 1/2".............................................................................................................................................................. top to lower hole 20 5/8"

·
Registered
65 Posts
I read, therfore I am

this is from the top of the dipstick sealing rubber.. re -di my answer, perhaps clearer?
21 1/4" is much better...:)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
It is harmfull to the clutch if the sump is overfilled. The rear crankshaft seal is likely to leak oil into the bell house.
It not uncommon for repair shop personelle not to allow time enough for all the oil to drain at an oil change. Partly because they let the engine cool too long; partly that the oil is thicker and the amount is larger than on most modern cars.
Erik

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
for short turm..i do not think it would be that much of a problem, as the extra oil would be on the reverse side of the clutch itself.. long turm , yes a problem might show up , if you catch it early.. only a little if any oil would be tossed up onto the inside of the bellhousing. the flywheel sets very close the the insie of the bellhousing..

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well, a possible danger of contaminating the drive plate. The excess oil should be drained or sucked out asap.
Erik

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I thought excess oil could lead to foaming and reduced lubrication effectiveness - no?

·
Administrator
17,697 Posts
Too much oil will cause higher oil pressure...
I don't think that is so.

The oil pump is what makes pressure. If the oil level is high the pump does not make more pressure. And even if somehow it could, the oil pressure relief valve would open to regulate oil pressure.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Oil pump determines indicated oil pressure.

However, it is my understanding (around the farm) that higher oil levels put pressure on the crankshaft and its related parts, as the oil level range is determined by the correct level which will lubriacte the lower portion of the engine effectively. Is this true?

Idle the car. Jack up the front. Drain oil into a pair of clean gallon jugs. Refill to the appropriate amount - with a correct Alfa dipstick.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Oil pump determines indicated oil pressure.

However, it is my understanding (around the farm) that higher oil levels put pressure on the crankshaft and its related parts, as the oil level range is determined by the correct level which will lubriacte the lower portion of the engine effectively. Is this true?

Idle the car. Jack up the front. Drain oil into a pair of clean gallon jugs. Refill to the appropriate amount - with a correct Alfa dipstick.

Problem solved.
The old mecanic (my dad) told me, that oil presure isn't affected by too high an oil level, but the crank will splash the oil and and it will be comsumed, leaked out of O-ring and gaskets and find it way thru the breather. For many years the breather has been connected to the induction which can get clogged. In the good old days when engines breathed to the atmusphere nothing much happened, except pollution; which hadn't been invented then.
So best thing is to drain.
Erik

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Did they change the filter? Because that's where the 7th quart goes. Being slightly overfilled shouldn't be a problem unless the level is up to the point where it touches the crankshaft, in which case it will act like an eggbeater and cause foaming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts