Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an oil change on Red today, the second time since I got it and I noticed something a bit odd. When I removed the filter no oil drained out of it. The filter is one of the OEM Made in China ones from Jason. I changed the oil in Blackie last week which had the same type filter and got the expected mess as I unscrewed it so I'm not sure what the issue is. The filter was not dry - that is there was obviously oil going through it but it was not full of oil as you would expect. There have been no oil pressure or other issues with the car and it seems to run fine although I have noticed that after it sits it makes noises like a car makes when you start it up after installing a new filter so somethings going on.

BTW Castrol 5 qt 20/50 is on sale at O'Reillys with a free Microguard filter (so I got two free filters)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Interesting I've never had that happen. I thought I read somewhere that filters installed on their sides, or upside down have a valve to prevent oil from draining out of them. They need to stay full of oil to get oil pressure build up faster on start up. At least that was my impression.

·
Administrator
13,013 Posts
Yes. Those filters have a flap type check valve that will usually keep them full for a while, though not forever. Standard on the V12 Ferrari's and suggested on Alfa's (particularly race) where owners have filters mounted remotely, higher than oil level in the sump. The valve is "anti-drain-back" and these are available interchangeable with filters without the valve, usually with a completely different part numberr to keep things interesting.

·
28,589 Posts
I think I will pull the OEM filter from Alfa-Orlando off of BB2 and try another one as I have same OEM Alfa-Orlando filter on BB1.

BB2 has knocking noise on start up until oil pressure comes on line, too but none on BB1 with same filter out of same blister pack.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,701 Posts
You probably just got a filter with a bad anti-drainback valve. Sometimes they don't seal right. I don't know how good the OEM filters are these days. The more expensive filters use silicone instead of nitrile rubber which supposedly seals better.

I can tell you Fram filters are notorious for causing startup rattle due to bad anti-drainback valves.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well as I said I got two free Microguard brand filters with the oil so I'm trying one out on Red right now. I put a Fram HM filter on Blackie which is their premium filter. Does anyone know what the Wix number is? I don't think I'm going to use the OEMs anymore.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
From the ratings i've read Royal Purple are amounst the best, so I just got 6 of them on eBay. A little pricy at $12/ea :( But the are short for easier removal and fat for good filtering capacity. Haven't done a cold start on the black car since I changed the oil. I'm running the red car right now.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,639 Posts
"BTW Castrol 5 qt 20/50 is on sale at O'Reillys"

You do know that the Castrol 20W-50 you buy now is not the same as it was?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You do know that the Castrol 20W-50 you buy now is not the same as it was?
Nor is my sex life but I manage :innocent:

Seriously, no need to start up another ZDDP debate, everyone knows where I stand on that. I just mentioned it was on sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it's okay Del, I didn't mean it like that, I was just trying to crack a joke. I respect your views and value your input. Heck you never know, some new data might surface and you'll be able to say "AHA, told you!"

So never say never :whistling:

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I dont recall the box labeling but I bought filter from O'Reillly, their house brand, they're made by Wix FWIW. ciao, jc

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your post led me to Google Microguard and it looks like NAPA is the one that is made by Wix and the O'Reilly one is clearly inferior. Hey, what can you expect for free.

I'm going to do a bit more research, maybe follow Richard's lead because I don't need my filter to cost six bucks, I just want it to work and definitely don't want to get another one with a failed drain back valve.

·
Premium Member
9,937 Posts
Nothing I can do about where the filter's are made now. They are exactly the same as the previous version. I do not believe the quality has gone down due to that. Thats what they supply now.
When you removed the oil filter, did you drain the oil already? Dumb question but thought I would ask?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I had my dad's '97 Miata last week for several items that needed attention. His car was doing the same, no oil pressure induced rattle on start up. I searched online and found the OEM Mazda filters were doing this apparently due to bad anti drainback valves. I checked his car and sure enough I found an OEM Mazda filter. Quality is suffering these days for unknown reasons to me (Chinese? poor quality, or lack of oversight from Mazda?). You used to be able to rely on genuine OEM quality.

Trying to put front struts in a 2002 Civic EX and Sachs can't get me a left and a right strut. They keep sending me right struts with left part numbers (can't blame the Chinese as these are marked Japanese made). Called the company ZF/Sachs and they took my name and number and never heard back from them. Customer service is suffering these days. Nobody cares. KYBs going on the car instead.

Any hoo, back to Alfas. I run the Baldwin B233. Super nice filter, made in USA. Won't run anything else so I stock up. Never had a startup rattle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I looked and they are Microguard. Reason i say Wix is that two managers at two different stores siad this. True? Not true? No idea. ciao, jc

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Interesting oil filter manufacturing info. Maybe only useful for the USA market. Baldwin and Hastings are the same company, BTW.
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

Also, Baldwin's website listed the B163 as the filter for a 164 or Spider, but I have been using the B233. The B163 is a bit shorter.
Charles

1 - 20 of 36 Posts