Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any option besides my mechanic for a basic oil change for a 84' Spider? If I go to a regular joint should I purchae a filter first and give it to them? I want it done right but was curious if the standard places have the ability to do it-at a far cheaper price. Thanks for any input.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,931 Posts
If you want it done cheap and right, do it yourself. If you want to pay someone to do it right, pay a real mechanic (preferably one who knows Alfas). Avoid Jiffy Lube and the like with any car you care about.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oil filter for a Volvo 240/740/940 non turbo is the same PureOne filter# as for an 84 Spider. 14670. The guys at Jiffy Lube, Walmart, etc. probably don't know that.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The biggest concern there is for an OIL change in my mind is how they will lift your car on the hoist, if it is not a drive thru.
The underside of my QUAD bears the evidence of where the PO's had the car serviced.
Also your car would like 20W-50, which they most likely will not carry in bulk.
The advertised chain price is normally for 4 or max 5 quarts of 10W-30 or 5W-30...you will need 7 of 20W-50. If you factor that they will charge you a premium for the "special oil" and the for 7 Qts. You will see it is not cheap in the end. Wanna save..buy good oil & filter and DIYS.
They will also use an "ECONO" filter....
Common agreement from discussions on this board, has been NOT to use FRAM.
A BIG wave to Phil.C, nice to see you back!
Best regards.....Elio

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Three replies in about 15 minutes! Knew I could count on you guys.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi8 Phil,
Will that #14670 PureOne filter fit on your 86 Quad also. I have a 86 Spider and have been using the Fram PH16 for a lack of other direction.
Thanks.
Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts