Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to change the oil today- Do I need jack stands (don't have them) to do this in the driveway or can I get it done without? And does anyone have a recommend on an oil filter part # for Purolator or other such filter (i know- not FRAM) that I can buy today (Autozone- PepBoys)- will be getting parts soon from IAP but just wanted to get some new oil in there in the meantime. I'm gonna put Castrol GTX 20-50 in her and see how she likes it.

86 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
514 Posts
You'll need a larger allen wrench than most people have to get the drain plug out. Run a search on allen wrench or oil change and you'll get the size from another tread.

There is not a lot of clearance, so I use home made ramps. I can't even get my catch basin in without ramps.

Get an 8 foot 2 x 8 at the local home store. Cut it to lengths of 3 1/2 feet, 2 1/2 feet and 1 1/2 feet. Screw them together on top of each other like a pyramid. Make another. Put them under your front tires. Drive right up. It makes life very very easy.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Castrol 20/50 should be fine... it's all I've used in my Spider (over 190k miles). For the drain plug, I use a 27mm wrench (WithanF - was your plug changed out at some point?). The suggestion to make the wood pyramid is a good one as most oil drain pans will not fit under the Spider.

As for the filter, contrary to what has been written here, I've used Fram in addition to the other brands - sorry I don't have an exact part number though. (I'm not loyal to any one brand, although maybe I should be.:rolleyes: )

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
I was a loyal FRAM customer, until reading a long article by someone who disected all popular filters with evaluations and pictures. I don't have the link, but I'll bet it will come up in a BB or Internet search. I use Mobil 1 filters in my Spiders, although they tend to cost more and are harder to find. For our Diesel Motorhome, I use Car Quest filters.

alfa63 said:
...As for the filter, contrary to what has been written here, I've used Fram in addition to the other brands - sorry I don't have an exact part number though. (I'm not loyal to any one brand, although maybe I should be.:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
NEVER, I repeat NEVER crawl under a car to do anything with it supported by ONLY a jack. Build some ramps as suggested by "WithanF, or bite the bullet and buy a pair of jack stands when you go to get your oil and filter.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Make sure the drain pan is large enough, the Alfa holds 7.5qts with the filter, it will overflow a small drain pan, very messy. For best results the car should be driven and fully warmed-up, then drain the oil, gets more dirt out of the engine. On many Alfas it is difficult to get the filter off with a metal filter wrench. I use a strap filter wrench, if the AP store doesn't have one, you can find them at most truckstop type places.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No- i've changed enough oil in my day- the last thing i want is to get crushed by a car- thanks. I got a bunch of wood and I'm gonna build that pyramid. cheers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'd buy a pair of Rhino Ramps from Pep Boys or another auto parts chain. They're about $30, support up to 6000 lbs, and don't weigh too much. Plus they're easy to store.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ramps are good but you cannot rotate your tires with them. I would pick up a set of Sears craftsman professional jack stands - 3.5 ton - $25.99 for a set of two. They work great, I have four of them.

Todd

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good advice from everyone. Seriously, motolust, get yourself some ramps and 4 jackstands...you'll then be set for life! They really are a great, low-cost investment. Go for it dude,

David

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have question related to oil change, I also want to do it by myself, (its worth) what to do with old, used, oil?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here in NC I just take the used oil to the local recycling center and dump it. You should be able to do that as well, Maciej. Some gas stations (full service) will take it as well.

David

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for info David:)
btw are you traveling quite often thru Raleigh? maby traveling by capitol blvd?
maby in red alfa?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had regular car ramps in the past for my GTV-6 and they were too steep. The plastic front air dam would hit them before I could get the tires to the ramp. They were useless. That's why I like the wood pyramids.

I've got a 93 Spider and I need a 12mm Allen wrench (hex key) to remove my otherwise round drain plug. I'm not the original owner, so I don't know if it is original.

·
Premium Member
26,712 Posts
Most auto stores like Advance and Autozone will take your old oil for you. Also our SPSA transfer station also takes it.

Fram PH16 or similiar size good filter for Spider. You can cross it over to Purolator or what ever brand you like look in oil filter book at auto store.

·
Registered
612 Posts
phil c said:
I'm curious- How do you rotate your tires with 2 jackstands? :)
lol ;)
He is using a spare tire ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts