Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Lovely Machinery!

Sometimes I suspect there are a few members lurking on the BB who are just looking for opportunities to show off their awesome engines! :wink2:

As well, I hasten to add, to contribute knowledge and wisdom to the discussion. :smile2:

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which, because the port injector is no longer present to continually wash down the the intake tract and and back of the intake valve with that fine, high-detergent, Tier 1 fuel we all use, can result in really messy situation. And no, fuel additives are not any help, since the gas in GDI never enters the intake plumbing.

Ford Ecoboost engines were among the most troubled, with misfires and poor fuel economy presenting in as few as 10k.

Of course, we need not be concerned about hot, turbo-boosted air or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in our 2.0L, but I'd still be concerned about putting valve cover blow by, along with acidic products of combustion back into the intake manifold and crankcase.

Hey, wait a minute!

That's exactly what our oil vapor collector (OVC) does, until it gets so clogged it begins to pop the dipstick. That's how I discovered mine was blocked. Now of course, it returns fumes to the intake and recovered oil back to the crankcase.

Guess it's no big deal.

Back to GDI, I did some research on the new Nissan engines, and they include a port injector on each cylinder to provide cleaning, while the DI works to improve performance and economy (as well as, unfortunately, particulates.:frown2:).

Also drove a GDI Hyundai Limited recently and while the salesman was stumped about how they mitigate intake fouling (no port injector) a knowledgeable service rep said they recommend a $180, chemical intake cleaning every 15,000 miles. How many owners are going to let that problem fester till it becomes more than a nuisance, only to discover their baked on crud won't respond to chemicals and needs mechanical cleaning (walnut shells?) often requiring pulling the heads (!) like I've heard some BMWs need. (Hmmm, think I may need a question mark here :smile2:)

Oh well, no free lunch...

Now I'm gonna go back and look at those beautiful engines!

Happy New Year all!

Though maybe not as bad as DFI but our little twin cam is pretty notorious for carboning up too.

Sometimes I suspect there are a few members lurking on the BB who are just looking for opportunities to show off their awesome engines! :wink2:

As well, I hasten to add, to contribute knowledge and wisdom to the discussion. :smile2:

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) which, because the port injector is no longer present to continually wash down the the intake tract and and back of the intake valve with that fine, high-detergent, Tier 1 fuel we all use, can result in really messy situation. And no, fuel additives are not any help, since the gas in GDI never enters the intake plumbing.

Ford Ecoboost engines were among the most troubled, with misfires and poor fuel economy presenting in as few as 10k.

Of course, we need not be concerned about hot, turbo-boosted air or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in our 2.0L, but I'd still be concerned about putting valve cover blow by, along with acidic products of combustion back into the intake manifold and crankcase.

Hey, wait a minute!

That's exactly what our oil vapor collector (OVC) does, until it gets so clogged it begins to pop the dipstick. That's how I discovered mine was blocked. Now of course, it returns fumes to the intake and recovered oil back to the crankcase.

Guess it's no big deal.

Back to GDI, I did some research on the new Nissan engines, and they include a port injector on each cylinder to provide cleaning, while the DI works to improve performance and economy (as well as, unfortunately, particulates.:frown2:).

Also drove a GDI Hyundai Limited recently and while the salesman was stumped about how they mitigate intake fouling (no port injector) a knowledgeable service rep said they recommend a $180, chemical intake cleaning every 15,000 miles. How many owners are going to let that problem fester till it becomes more than a nuisance, only to discover their baked on crud won't respond to chemicals and needs mechanical cleaning (walnut shells?) often requiring pulling the heads (!) like I've heard some BMWs need. (Hmmm, think I may need a question mark here :smile2:)

Oh well, no free lunch...

Now I'm gonna go back and look at those beautiful engines!

Happy New Year all!

Discussion starter · #24 ·

To take this discussion a little off topic, I wonder how many members are aware of issues with Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI)
Yup. When I bought my ‘08 Audi S6 (first gen direct injection) I factored a $1500 intake cleaning into the price. They blast the back side of the intake valves with walnut shells. The before and after pics are amazing. It was gross.

As you point out, port injectors are coming back to address the problem. I wouldn’t buy another car with the 1st generation tech. This particular car was bought in a moment of weakness. It fit my budget, was my favorite color, had white leather (!) and a freakin’ V10. It’s for sale if you’re interested :wink2:

Speedway Motors or Jegs, not sure but either one would carrier the fittings and ss hose.
Got it! Demon-Tweeks in the UK, the packaging does have the profanity VW-Audi on it, sorry about that.

Attachments

What about the other option of just having the breather hose point up rather than down and sticking a little air filter on the end of it?
It would soon be drooling oil from up there... :frown2:

Catch cans are not that expensive (or at least, they can be had for reasonable prices), and just as easy. I drain my catch-can back to the oil sump

My update to this thread- I put together a proper airbox from ebay parts, Centerline, and Classic Alfa. I couldn't find the rear exit/left hand vent connection for the breather, but was able to use a heater hose to make things work. Small hose at the cam breather connects under the air box. All sealed up and nothing (extra) going down on the road.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.