Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Alfa - a 1986 Spider Veloce in great condition. It turns more heads than my mint 82 Porsche 911SC.
I'm looking forward to learning this car inside and out.
I've worked on cars for thirty years so I'm sorta knowledgeable.
I'm seeing conflicting info on engine oil capacity. It's either 5 or 7 quarts. 5 only reaches the lower mark on the dipstick so "7" seems reasonable to me. However, the "5" is out of the Alfa service manual.
Anyone ????

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
an oil change should take a little over 7 quarts

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I have a weird situation, I was doing an oil change the oil was hot, I let it drain for about a half an hour, with the oil filter off. I refilled it with 7 quarts of oil and it's above the second dot on the dip stick. I always keep it topped off so at most I was down by maybe a quart and I only was able to drain about four and a half to 5 quarts. Did I overfill my engine with oil? Am I just reading the dip stick wrong, is the oil supposed to be well above the highest dot?

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's possible you have the wrong dipstick on the car.

That happened to me. I have 2 1750 engines and the dipstick in my Super is a couple inches shorter. I know after changing the oil with 7 qts the full oil line is at the low level. If I was to fill to the top mark I'd have 9 qts in there. You never know the history from prior owners.

I'd go with the 7qts and mark the dipstick so you know where it's topped off.

Unless someone more experienced has a suggestion.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I have a weird situation, I was doing an oil change the oil was hot, I let it drain for about a half an hour, with the oil filter off. I refilled it with 7 quarts of oil and it's above the second dot on the dip stick. I always keep it topped off so at most I was down by maybe a quart and I only was able to drain about four and a half to 5 quarts. Did I overfill my engine with oil? Am I just reading the dip stick wrong, is the oil supposed to be well above the highest dot?
Did you start it up and let it run for a while so it fills the filter before checking? Did you check it on a level, flat surface?

Half an hour might not have drained all the oil..I let it drain at least overnight..esp. with thicker 20w/50...alternately, if it was a steady drip, or a small flow when you stopped, there could have been enough oil in there to keep it up on the stick.

In any event, it being over the second dot isn't something to worry about, see if it happens next change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, that was stupid of me to post. I haven't checked again yet, but I had not run the car when I initially looked. I had a crack in my air hose and sealed it up, so I was waiting for the glue to cure before reconnecting and starting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts