Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,369 Posts
My 91S used a qt of oil every 400-500 miles of city driving, about 800-900 miles highway, when I bought it at 40k miles, is still the same at 155k miles now. Nothing has changed or improved that consumption, I just live with it. Seems 91S's tend to be that way. Must have been a bad batch of valve stem seals that year.

Mechanic suggested that one could buy a lot of oil for the cost of head rebuilds. Decided to go that way. Maybe someday I'll redo the heads, but in no hurry.

10/12/12 (Have been told by my mechanic that the problem is actually bad oil rings on the 91's).

·
18,369 Posts
I predict it will be the same years from now. The 91's evidently had a really bad batch of oil rings. Alfa should have covered this, like most Japanese car companies would have, but then again, they are Alfa. They just say, hey, you bought it, it's your now, your problem, not ours, we meant it to be that way.

My bro owned a Toyota van with ~150k miles on it. Toyota replaced the crankshaft after the front pulley fell off. Toyota said 'mea culpa", that evidently they had heat treated the crank wrong. Although I wouldn't buy a Toyota, that impressed me then.

BTW, the 767 is my fav commercial plane to fly on, as my wife and I take advantage of the 2 abreast seating, ie, one aisle seat, one window seat. Didn't do any structural analysis on the 767, but did on the 27, 37, 47, 77, and service engr on the 27 and 57. Boeing is still selling new 67's (a tough and still productive plane), and now will sell the new tanker based on the 67.

·
18,369 Posts
Yup, that rain we get makes the salmon grow big, yum.

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.