Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have a 1995 164 3.0 24v manual and am hoping this is a needless query but this happened today:
Started the car, oil pressure light stayed on but oil pressure needle rose OK. After few seconds the light went out and assumed faulty sender (once came on at 70mph 10 years ago - again gauge needle remained fine and it went off after a few seconds). What concerns me is the pressure reading is about 1/2 bar higher than usual and also reaches a maximum 1/2 bar higher than normal - even when fully warm.
Have only driven it 5 miles since that start up and pressure readings aside the car ran and sounded fine. Could it be a partial blockage in the oil system (maybe at filter) restricting flow a little and causing the pressure to rise the 1/2 bar?
Anyone ever suffered an actual oil blockage? Does the cooled oil from the oil-cooler feed back to the sump or the filter first?Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I see why you asked for pictures of where the cooler bolts on. I don’t have the with me anymore but the lines I believe bolt onto a casting that houses the motor mount as well as an axle support. I’ll take detailed pictures of it for you tomorrow. As for the light I believe the sender for the gauge is in the head and the sender for the light is in the block. The light sender is in the back of the motor if I remember correctly. And pretty close to thdrive exhaust so I wouldn’t rule out failed wiring.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have not experienced this exact behaviour of the pressure gauge, but it does not sound too alarming to me, since the car is still running well. Here is a photo of where the oil pipes connect to the engine on my Q4, just next to the oil filter.

Reactions: richardbradford

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see why you asked for pictures of where the cooler bolts on. I don’t have the with me anymore but the lines I believe bolt onto a casting that houses the motor mount as well as an axle support. I’ll take detailed pictures of it for you tomorrow. As for the light I believe the sender for the gauge is in the head and the sender for the light is in the block. The light sender is in the back of the motor if I remember correctly. And pretty close to thdrive exhaust so I wouldn’t rule out failed wiring.
Many thanks. Am glad to say it has not happened since - guess once every 12 years isn't too bad - especially for an Alfa... Right now everything is back to before. And thanks too for the great pics.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great pics, thank you. Good to know the banjos go into steel(?) inserts and their general positions. Thanks to these and the pic from Allan feel more able to do the swap over - though what a tight fit it looks for getting the pipes around that engine mount. Looks like the power-steering pump might make it tricky to access the pipe on the right (outer) side. In any case, glad not buried behind the exhaust manifold and the oil filter will be coming out too.
I'll post how the operation goes to hopefully help others.
Final point, not connecting the braided pipes to the cooler end until all fitted engine side. Means will not have to try to fit the steel pipes engine side with oil cooler attached - could help feeding things round. Guess I'll find out...

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Allan, how did you get that photo? Great image!
George, could you take another photo of the mounting block for the filter unit showing the backside? It must be a royal pain to swap out that pressure switch. It is bad enough to get in there just to change the filter unit. What is that thing down inside that hole? A one-way valve?
The pressure unit is on the front of the engine. It sure beats the earlier V6 between the two heads.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
"It sure beats the earlier V6 between the two heads" Oh yes, to be sure.

At least the actual oil filter itself is not too bad to remove, except I end up scratching my arm on the brake line retention clips I guess when I reach in past all that stuff. I never learned, since I never wear long sleeved shirts, lol.

·
Registered
343 Posts
George, could you take another photo of the mounting block for the filter unit showing the backside? It must be a royal pain to swap out that pressure switch. It is bad enough to get in there just to change the filter unit. What is that thing down inside that hole? A one-way valve?
The pressure unit is on the front of the engine. It sure beats the earlier V6 between the two heads.

this is the other side that mates to the engine. Looks like they used the old oil filter housing that was already cast into the block as part of the design. And yes that looked like a one way valve to me. Personally I think all these oil passage ways are large in this area and shouldn’t be too prone to clogging but oil blockages are kinda out of my league I don’t have a vast understanding of the system really besides pressure pumps oil through everything and then drips Back down from the head and crank to the sump.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I took the engine out of the car... :)

This is some years ago, it is now out of the car again, waiting for me to get some time to get something done to it.
Here are some more photos of the Q4 engine & transmission.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks, Allan and George. Great pics and engine!
I always thought the one-way valve was in the oil filter but makes sense for it to be built into the engine system itself.
Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts