Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the dash out for a while and got it back into today. I pluged in the gauge indicator lights and now my fuel and oil pressure lights wont turn off in with the key out. With the key out all electrics still function, radio, turn signals, fan. I suspect a bad ignition switch but I could be very wrong. Any ideas or things to check. It's a 73 spider.

·
Push hard and live
9,652 Posts
Most Alfas throughout the years have “hot” accessories with the ignition switch off, and key out. Headlights, turn signals, fan, etc. That’s why they included panel lights to remind you that your headlights, blinkers, and fan were still on after the engine was shut down. A reasonable precaution, as you would have just arrived at the young lady’s apartment, and her apparent enthusiasm would otherwise prevent you from noticing things, such as your car was on fire.

The fuel and oil pressure lights, however, are switched via engine-on circuits. Since you had the dash out, I can imagine all sorts of missteps when you reassembled it. These two circuits can be “lit” by simply grounding the sensor ends of the wires. However, that requires that the lamps are connected to a hot circuit.

Could be a switch, or incorrectly terminated wires at the switch, fuse box, or lamps.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
If the senders are grounded the lights will come on. When the engine is off, each switch grounds. When running, the pressure opens the contacts and light goes off. Unless you in fact have low oil pressure and fuel pressure. The 12V hot all comes from the same source in the fuse boc, but the oil light grounds direcdtly to the sender on the exhaust side of the engine, and the fuel light grounds directly to the switch the fuel filter near the starter. Some diagnosing sounds in order, to see if the light receptacles are maybe grounding or you have your wires mixed.
Andrew

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice. Turned out it was pretty simple. The power for the gauges was hooked up to the wrong fuse by PO. Moved the power wire to fuse 6 and boom. Fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts