Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone pulled one apart before?
I have what I think is too much oil through my intake and plenum. I've been tempted to pull mine apart and see if it could be filled with plastic mesh or similar but concerned about breakdown and crap falling into the engine.

I'm trying to not add anything extra to the already messy engine bay but I'm also thinking about running from the separator to a small catch can, back to the plenum (not one of those vented to atmosphere cans). Small like a coke can size, not a 1lt one. Who the hell catches 1lt before checking it! I've even seen 5lt! I'd imagine I'd be checking it when I check the oil...

I believe Greg from HPS had a little extra filter inline. A little clutter-ish considering the area, IMO. Still might be an option. Will search for more about that now.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
They do require scheduled cleaning, a process which can take several days of soaking and rinsing. Really should be maybe two in line to properly do the job.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I had it beautifully clean about 20,000km ago, back when I had it powder coated I washed the hell out of it without opening it. Seems I might not have had it clean enough, or it's clogged? I don't know what's inside of it either.

The top cap of it is only soldered on I think. When it was powder coated I remember a drip of solder had run down the outside of it from the seam. I might just pull it apart and see what's the go inside since I haven't found any info about it [unlike the Spider one].

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's not the one I'm asking about (that's the one I can find heaps of info about). I'm referring to the v6 one. One hose in, one hose out.

Bottom left of this picture. Bulb like thing on the hose.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is what I think I'll fit in line, after the bulb separator. Or maybe a fancy billet Moroso one.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had mine powdercoated while the engine was apart. Inside there's a brass sponge of some kind. I managed to flush mine out, and the heat from the powdercoating process finished the job. But an extra catch can of some sort would help a lot. Plenty out there from the usual performance sources.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got a catch can, but it's probably 1.5lt! Got given it long ago for no reason with no purpose. It's just so ****ed huge and ugly. I can't hide it anywhere!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, pulled the cap off today.

Here's some pictures...

Pretty ****ing blocked!

Oil vapour flows up the centre, down the outer ring of honeycomb brass then out the side tube. The honeycomb brass finishes at the pressed line above the outlet tube, so it's not very long.
Oil apparently collects on all the surface area of the brass. Liquefied oil trickles down the bottom to the bottom of the bulb and back into the engine through a single 3mm hole in the inlet.

Here's a picture of that hole, should be able to see half way in along the bottom of the pipe.

So if you understand that all well enough, then you might catch on to the idea that even the fitted orientation of the separator matters somewhat. Since there is only one hole to drain oil back and it's mounted on an angle [with the head being on an angle].
If oil pools in the base I guess there is a chance it might slosh about and into the intake. By memory, factory fitted has the hole on the top side, 180 degrees out from ideal. But that's just mine, other might be assembled with the hold in another position in relation to the outlet?

A positive note here... Even if the honeycomb is blocked the hole might stay clear to stop a positive crank case pressure build up in the engine.

So since the whole thing is just soldered together, tomorrow I'll get the oxy back onto it and heat the tube/bulb joint and pull it right apart. Lay out the brass and clean it [it's just a roll of crimped brass sheet] and reassemble. If I destroy the brass stuff, I have a few ideas about machining something up to replace it.

Improving on the design? Anyone got suggestions?

I don't think drilling extra drain holes will be of benefit. More vapours will travel through them and into the outlet rather than through the honeycomb.
Unless...
Packing under the honeycomb with coarse stainless steel wool would assist with collecting vapours coming through the drain holes and the honeycomb. Would hate to think of a piece of it getting into the intake or the head though...

Last resort, catch can. A good one would do a much better job, with much more surface area to collect oil. No bulb sticking up on top of the valve cover, but no where really discrete to hide the can... Would need to be drained too, but just do that with every service.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Thanks for the education. I had wondered what was in those things.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
I remember when my first Alfa (64 Sprint GT) had nothing like this, just a tube dumping everything overboard. I rigged a old oil can with hoses to catch some of the oily blow by. Emptied it once in while, it actually collecting oil.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,527 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the reminder to clean mine out. I hadn't done it in quite a while and it was pretty filthy.

The V6 does always seem to have some oil in the accordion, which I always assumed came from the separator. Someone a long time ago did a test, though, and they found that the oil went away when they unplugged the cold start injector: their analysis was that it was gasoline that had run down from the injector and thickened. I have no proof on this one way or the other, though...I just clean out the intake once in a blue moon.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
The 164 version of the V6, though, doesn't have a cold start injector as do the Milano and GTV6. So, that couldn't be the answer for the 164.

It seems clear to me that there is enough crankcase blowby to overload/plug that puny separator canister and send oil vapor/liquid into the intake bellows. A check of this could be made by just letting the blowby dump overboard ahead of the canister after cleaning the bellows.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been runnin megasquirt, with the CSI removed. Still got a fresh build up of oil in the intake, from the filter to the runners. I just think this separator is not big enough or efficient enough. A clean one will definitely work better though.
More pictures today, unless they make us all redundant...

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
chance of getting fired?? I'd forgotten the word "redundant". ciao jc

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleaned it out today. Parts washer at work is amazing... What ever fluid is in it destroys everything and dries off clean without residue so well you can paint straight over it. Would bang/10.

Sand blasted it afterwards and washed the hell out of it again and a primer undercoat to stop it rusting.

bronze has uncoiled a bit and the tube doesn't fit up the guts... I'll wind it back tight with a 'Eze-out' tomorrow.

Redundancies are on the go. That's the problem working for a American company. If they need to make up for losses in America, they butcher us to cover it [Used to be about 700 people, now around 100 since we got bought out].
Will find out for sure in 4 weeks but I won't go. I'm to valuable ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts