Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this from a buddy in Cleveland. Be careful driving through Ohio.

Feff

Officer Estimates Enough For Speeding Convictions​

By: Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to support a conviction if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy, and experienced in watching for speeders.

The court's 5-1 decision says independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary.

The court upheld a lower court's ruling against a driver who challenged a speeding conviction that had been based on testimony from police officer in Copley, 25 miles south of Cleveland. The officer said it appeared to him that the man was driving too fast.

·
Registered
1973 GTV, 1969 GTV, TR4 & 1969 Roadrunner (long gone), 1967 & 1969 Corvettes
7,178 Posts
Happened to me in NY:rolleyes:. 'Course, I :eek: did have my foot in it at the time :). Judge, :rolleyes: a woman, asked the cop about his credentials and he said he got :cool: some sort of cop certificate about estimating speed within a so and so margin or error. Guilty :(

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
the judge...........
In my case, the :mad: ****h convicted guilty everyone brought before her including one guy with a real :cool: explanation (details of which I can't remember) but unfortunately it didn't impress her. :(.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I'm Certainly Glad that I Live in the Land of the Free...

and the home of the brave. And not in some commie pinko police state!:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's all about bringing in the revenue because every city is so broke these days. I got popped coming off a freeway and it was very much an exercise in taking my money. The freeway was 65 and the access road was 50. I was clocked on the exit ramp at 56 (I had my foot off the throttle - coasting). There were 8 of us lined up getting tickets. My only revenge was to haggle them down in the court room from $180 to $90 and 3 months of probation. And now I no longer park daily in the city parking lot which costs them $2 a day (and since I found a $1 a day private lot I'm saving money too).

I regularly see them clocking people on steep downhills where it's very easy to speed. I keep thinking about buying a Valentine One or something similar but this was my first moving violation in 12 years so I'm hoping I won't have another.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
......... but this was my first moving violation in 12 years so I'm hoping I won't have another.
Doesn't matter - tickets seem to come in bunches :(. First thing you know is you got 2 under your belt and the 3rd = no license. :rolleyes: Then you end up driving like :eek: an ol' lady & people are giving you dirty looks :mad:

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
In Pennsylvania, there is a little known law on the books that says police can't issue a ticket unless the driver is going at least 10 miles per hour over the speed limit unless they are using radar. Here's the logic. Many local police use lines painted in the road and a timer that they push by hand. The officer enters in the distance between the lines (from a published list) and then basically times people going from one line to the next. Problem is there are human reflexes involved and somebody demonstrated that an officer could be off by as much as 10%. So.....if you get a ticket using "mechanical measuring systems" (i.e. not radar) in Pennsylvania and can argue that it was for less than 10 MPH over the speed limit, you can probably get out of the ticket. I successfully argued it once but still had to pay court costs.

As for the visual estimation method used in some states, keep in mind that no officer wants to write a ticket that is likely to be contested in court. (Cops HATE going to court. They rarely remember the person across from them and have to rely on notes. This is why some state troopers write tickets for far less than the speed you were going. Would you risk contesting the ticket if there was a chance the trooper will counter that you were actually going faster?) So I'm thinking most officers that invoke that rule are probably doing it because the driver is gong way over the speed limit. Judges generally know this and rule accordingly.

I've been in courtrooms where nobody got out of their ticket (Georgia) , I've been in courtrooms where only the drivers with lawyers got out of their tickets (Virginia) and Iv'e been in courtrooms where the judge summarily dismissed every ticket in the room without hearing any of them because "If you are here, you must have a good reason." (Florida). Depends on where you are.

Thanks,

Scott

Reactions: rogerspeed

·
Premium Member
14,062 Posts
Scott, it's not that Police officers hate going to court. In some cities, they don't have the time because they are busy. In other cities, it is mandatory that they appear in court. Really, you take your chances when you contest. Most folks don't want to mess with the time it takes to contest a citation. Citations are usually plea bargained down to something we can live with and a fine.

Years ago, I was accused of speeding. I met with the city attorney and told him that the officer made a mistake. The busy street was quite dark and there was a lot of traffic. Several of the cars changed lanes to position themselves at a stop light. The attorney smirked and offered a zero point citation and a $250 fine. I declined his offer and said I wanted to take my chance before the judge. His response was, "I don't know if the officer will appear". WTH? How is this my problem? When I met with the clerk to set my court date, I got the same response. No witness means no case. I still had to prepare form my court date. The case was dismissed because their witness did not show.

These citations are meant to generate revenue for the cities. I'm sure there are statistics that show what percentages of "violators" will contest and what percentages will not. The city attorney I met with had 75 cases. He was only one of several meeting with "violators". It's a revenue machine with no interest in justice.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Alfa Romeo's suffer at the hands of "officer's estimation"... First instance, my 1980 Spider got passed in the right-hand lane by a generic Chevy (because I SAW the radar trap) but I got the ticket.

Second incident turned out worse - an officer popped out on the freeway behind my 1987 Milano as I exited, and his statement was that he "caught up and matched speed" with me (he had no radar) all within 500 feet.
Based upon his estimation that I was exiting at 90 MPH, I got to spend a night in jail.

I'm sure his car was doing 90 to catch up - but I seriously wasn't!

That "Alfa Romeo" logo adds at least 20% to speed estimates...

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Osso, I didn't mean hate in the literal sense of course. I believe they just would much rather be doing something else. I have several friends that are troopers and a few relatives that are retired police officers. For them, court days were always dreaded.

On a slightly different note. I have zoomed by several active, radar based, automated speed traps that never even lit up when I went by in an Alfa or BMW convertible with the top down because tehir radar image is so small. Pretty consistently, when I was passing another vehicle and encountered one of those evil things, the device saw the larger vehicle but not me. So our advantage is that our (mostly) smaller cars are less likely to be seen be automated systems.

As for getting singled out, I have owned and currently own a variety of cars, some sporty, some really sporty and some...not so much. Some of these cars can be really deceiving. Turn up the Logic 7 stereo on a 5 or 7 series BMW and you will have absolutely no idea you are going 100 MPH until you look at the speedometer. It happened surprisingly often as I drove home from work in a work-daze. But I've actually been pulled over more often in my wife's Toyota SUV than in those cars because that is the car we use for road trips and, you know, speed traps in sneaky places. Thank god for Waze!

My point? The biggest factor in getting pulled over is always the speed you are going. the biggest factor in getting a ticket is your interaction with the officer. The car might come in third. I learned this from one of my best friends in college. He drove like a maniac and somehow went on to become a Texas State Trooper.

OK, done babbling.

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.