1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,524 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, after some research, It seems after 25 years, anything can be registered in the USA, however, in Canada, its a mere 15 years.

So, it qualifies.

Twin spark, from the factory.
sigh.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
well, after some research, It seems after 25 years, anything can be registered in the USA, however, in Canada, its a mere 15 years.
Not true. This Page lists which Alfa can be imported and are admissible in Canada (same rules as cars for USA market; the twin spark discussed here is not listed). Else, the 25 year "classic car" rule applies. Some Provinces allow "specialty vehicles" (passenger cars produced in quantities of 1,500 or less), for which a 15 year rule exists.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Well, an interesting question. Ruedi, the page you refer to is with regard to import from the US. There is certainly stuff similar to that from the Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo conglomerate coming into the country from Japan, usually LHD.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
There was a yellow one, same model out of Spokane, WA I believe. Registered with state plates, but have no idea what, if any restrictions it might have had. It was present at the 2005 Potlatch Convention in Seattle, and was also present at the Portland Convention in 2009. If fact it had a 'For Sale' sign on it at the Portland Convention. Can't recall who owned it, or what they were asking for it at the time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look, I have an 2007 Italjet Dragster 2 stroke 180cc titled and licensed in Oregon. Make friends with your local DMV agent. You'd be amazed what you can get through.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Well, an interesting question. Ruedi, the page you refer to is with regard to import from the US. There is certainly stuff similar to that from the Fiat/Lancia/Alfa Romeo conglomerate coming into the country from Japan, usually LHD.
You're right! There is a general 15-year rule for cars not being from countries other than the USA (see this page). I confused it with the rule for getting collector car plates (and lower insurance rates) in the Province of British Columbia (where the general rule is 25 years, except for cars produced in quantities of 1,500 or less -- see this page).

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Look, I have an 2007 Italjet Dragster 2 stroke 180cc titled and licensed in Oregon. Make friends with your local DMV agent. You'd be amazed what you can get through.
Did he qualify you as an organ donor? :D:D:D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"He said he was going to donate his eyes to Stevie Wonder, isn't that sweet?"
From Ferris Beulher's Day Off

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Many years ago, while visiting in France, I caught a TV commercial with Stevie driving a Peugeot and enjoying it!!!
(I think it was filmed on the salt flats of Utah!!):D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you seen Stevie Wonder's house??

Neither has he.

Yuk yuk yuk.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
1996 Alfa Romeo Spider - Twin Spark Motor - Rare in Canada!

Car has to be 25 years+ to import to the states. Frankly, you can keep the body, I just want the TS
Well, actually you probably don't as it's the FIAT derived twin spark, not the Alfa Nord engine. Only ever used in FWD Alfa's and to be frank I'm not sure you'd want the car either. Renowned for being very 'loose' in the body if you know what I mean. Sounds expensive too - market value for a '98 here is around $8-10k.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Italian and very 'loose' in the body, if you know what I mean.

So many ways to go with this. Someone else start.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There was a yellow one, same model out of Spokane, WA I believe. Registered with state plates, but have no idea what, if any restrictions it might have had. It was present at the 2005 Potlatch Convention in Seattle, and was also present at the Portland Convention in 2009. If fact it had a 'For Sale' sign on it at the Portland Convention. Can't recall who owned it, or what they were asking for it at the time.

At that time, the car was owned by my friend Dr. Bela Denes, then of Seattle. Originally, the car came to the U.S. under the ownership of a military serviceman stationed in England. There, he had it modified to conform to U.S. DOT requirements and apparently had no difficulties in Seattle with Washington State's vehicle registration bureau. Dr. Denes purchased the car in Seattle in January 2005 selling it a few years later when he relocated to Southern California.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
At that time, the car was owned by my friend Dr. Bela Denes, then of Seattle. Originally, the car came to the U.S. under the ownership of a military serviceman stationed in England. There, he had it modified to conform to U.S. DOT requirements and apparently had no difficulties in Seattle with Washington State's vehicle registration bureau. Dr. Denes purchased the car in Seattle in January 2005 selling it a few years later when he relocated to Southern California.
Couldn't be two this color, so it's probably the same goldish colored car that was registered to a Salem Or owner and advertised on the local Craigslist several times last year. A few months back, it was offered by Speed Sports of Milwaukee Or, again on CL. It was in the low to mid 20K area as I recall, and I see it is no longer listed on their inventory list, so maybe a new owner has it now, or maybe the consignment agreement expired.

The red one looks like a fair deal to me at far less money! Ad says it is registered and certified in Canada. I don't want it, but if I lived in BC, I would at least drive it once.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts