Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sold my 67 Spider, right? Sad, sad days! But, still without a job, I really needed the cash. And what do I do today? I buy another Spider :eek::eek:
An '84 became available locally at a parts car price. The engine runs, but supposedly needs an cam cover gasket and an oil pan gasket...it's a little oily. Did not want to risk breaking anything by driving it, plus it has been sitting for a long time and has expired tags, but it seems like it should fine....brake pedal felt good..clutch pedal looked like it sat a little low, but felt solid. No rust other than some surface spots, very solid southern car, some hail damage, and perhaps had a respray at some point. Very solid floors, rockers, wheel well. Ratty interior, but complete, except for drivers side window motor. Ugly dash cap, but a great top!
My thinking is I trailer it home, start cleaning it up and assess what needs to be done. I think I can make it into a driver for very little money, and then I may sell it. Or, if I find some more disturbing issues, I'll part it out. What have I gotten myself into this time? I haven't even told my wife yet:eek::eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
This after all of that effort to get every penny out of the Duetto.....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This after all of that effort to get every penny out of the Duetto.....
funny that you mention that....in the end I sold it for more than I was willing to take for it....I guess that's why I can now buy this one;) Furthermore, I'm sure I could actually make some money off of this one when I put in some elbow grease:)
BTW, my wife and daughter just came back from running errands and I told them. My wife was happy for me and thinks it's great that I bought an Alfa again, she is such a sweetheart! My 15 year old daughter say she wants it when she turns 16, in 6 months or so...woohoo!!!

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
ALFA = Always Looking For Another

...What have I gotten myself into this time? I haven't even told my wife yet:eek::eek:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hey Peter: Good for you! This sounds exactly like the car you were looking for. The low clutch pedal you mentioned is probably a broken clutch arm. Bob says they all break at some point (we just replaced mine because of the same problem). Take it to Tommy Lupton and have him weld it or you can get a new one from the usual supliers.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Peter: Good for you! This sounds exactly like the car you were looking for. The low clutch pedal you mentioned is probably a broken clutch arm. Bob says they all break at some point (we just replaced mine because of the same problem). Take it to Tommy Lupton and have him weld it or you can get a new one from the usual supliers.
Thanks Jim....I really wasn't looking for a car, it just came up in a search (so I guess ALFA really means that even if you're not looking you really are). I really wanted to wait until my situation got better, and get an S2, never was a big fan of S3's (no offense anyone)...This one just crossed my path, too good a deal, and I'm excited to bring her back to life!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
Hey Pete, welcome back . . . I think . . . . and I hope! This ought to keep you off the streets for awhile, or perhaps back on them cruising! Hope it works out!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I picked up my budget Spider project today.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little hard to see maybe, but she's filthy :) Lots of dust...Interior is toast, and engine bay is all grease!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After a quick bath, the exterior actually shines! It's got some blemishes, including hail damage that does not show clearly in the pictures, but not bad at all for a car at this price point!

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im with you Peter. I think it's a great idea. If you make a buck an hour for the time you put into it, you made a profit.

Beats the hell out'a sitting around. Pull that thing in the garage, put on the tunes and start pulling that thing apart!!

Marcos

·
Registered
692 Posts
Right on

Peter,
Even a quicker rebound than I imagined. Good for you and must be a great wife. Didn't tell her.... bad boy, bad boy !! Now you are ready for some spring time fun, nothing better than a beater alfa !!!!! She looks Grrrreat!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, while I'm waiting for a new air flow meter hose to arrive so I can hopefully get her started, I spent quite a bit of time this weekend on fixing some smaller issues like license plate lights, seat repair, and cleaning the interior.
Last night I decided to look into the coolant overflow bottle again. When I checked it at the time I bought her, it looked nice and green....but now it is actually all brown, and I think it smells like oil/exhaust. I am therefore pretty sure the head gasket is blown. So now I'm not sure what to do, I'm at a cross roads. Either I part her out, or I fix the head gasket. The gasket should not be too big a deal (although it would be a first for me), but I can't really assess the state of other mechanicals now, and of course a head gasket does not blow just like that, there must be another issue that caused it, like overheating.

I'm thinking perhaps clean the engine, get the grease off, get her started....but a compression test will not tell me a whole lot about the rings if the head gasket is bad, for example.

I am tempted to part her out, but the body is so nice and rust free that I really have a bit of a problem with that. Could use some input, please?

·
Registered
60 Posts
A rust free body is a great thing to have. I would pull the head and take a look...then replace the gasket and see what's happening.

I bought my car with a blown headgasket from overheating. The engine was not hurt (even though the engine shut off on the kid who was driving it) and runs like top now. You may be okay....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A rust free body is a great thing to have. I would pull the head and take a look...then replace the gasket and see what's happening.

I bought my car with a blown headgasket from overheating. The engine was not hurt (even though the engine shut off on the kid who was driving it) and runs like top now. You may be okay....
thanks....that's what I'm hoping for....I've heard it run and it actually ran pretty smoothly....just don't want this to turn into a money pit, as I bought it as an investment, yeah right;) I know I can get my money back by parting her out, but that feels all kinds of wrong to do!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Peter!!! Alright, then! I'm happy for you. And good luck on the job hunt. Been there, sux!
Replace the head gasket. To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a head gasket is just a head gasket. I have seen them go for no particular reason other than it just didn't have anything better to do, so it blew. Sitting around too much can cause it.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
talked to the seller last night. He mentioned that the car did overheat about a year ago.....and it's been sitting for 9 months or so now, so it probably adds up:). I'm going in!

·
Registered
692 Posts
talked to the seller last night. He mentioned that the car did overheat about a year ago.....and it's been sitting for 9 months or so now, so it probably adds up:). I'm going in!
Thumbs up, thumbs up, thumbs up !!!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Started some work today. My plan is to take the head off, and see how bad it looks. I'm also replacing motor mounts, upper and lower oil pan gaskets, hoses/plug wires. Other than that, some clean-up and what else I encounter....and boy did I find some stuff today ;-)

I started disassembleing stuff to get the head off. I'm currently stuch with the injectors that I can't get out...they're mounted with a selection of allen and torx bolts...and they're stuck....hopefully PB lbaster will help over night. I think this is going to be a major pain....I assume stock is just regular bolts?

So I decided to move along and take cam cover off, take the spark plug out...wait a minute....who put these in? I literally needed a breaker bar to get them out....the last one I did went a full revolution, and then snapped...:eek::mad::mad: So now I need a machine shop to try and fix that!
Also some other comical stuff....like the connectors to power the injectors....looks at the orange goop and home made wire....are the hard to replace/NLA?
Motor mounts must be sagging, as the fan blades were cut slightly, and the shroud butchered (a lot easier than replacing mounts, you know!)...I think I can still use them, thoughts?

A/C probably just needed a recharge, the seller said....we all know we need to take that with a grain of salt....but hmmmm, look at that pully...what's driving the compressor, LOL?? It's not immediately obvious how the replace the pully for a double pully, but I do think I want to try that. I have no high hopes the compressor still works, but I guess we'll find out. I do want A/C in this one, it may become a daily driver
Cooling system has quite a bit of greasy substance, mainly in the overflow bottle...definitely time for a head gasket. Other than that, the little car still seems pretty solid.....;):)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
The trick is to sell the trailer with the Alfa so you can't drag anymore home with you. :D:D:D

Hey there's nothing better then to have something to mess around with when your slow. The relaxing time in the shop, thinking on the good times ahead with the wind in your face on a warm Summers night.

You got to enjoy the down times too when your back to work you wouldn't have time to relax like this. Your lucky to have a understanding wife I think most of us Alfs owners have one otherwie we wouldn't have wives........just a bunch more Alfa's

Best of luck on the new project.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts