Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Hope that a charge is all that the AC needs. Usually more is involved to get that going properly

·
Registered
1986 Spider Veloce
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope that a charge is all that the AC needs. Usually more is involved to get that going properly
that's me having wishful thinking...
The auxiliary fan works as it should, the compressor spins freely, the blower motor blows strong.
Here's hoping it just needs a boost of freon but I'm not naïve enough to think that will happen with this car - hahaha

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
That's such a good color on an S3 Spider. And a beige top, too.

·
Registered
1986 Spider Veloce
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! I agree!
It’s been garage art for the few months I’ve had it. Anxious to get it on the road!

The top has a seam coming apart. Anybody have any luck sewing such things or am I looking at buying a new top?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I'd just drop in to an upholstery shop and ask. But more than likely there's a new top in your future.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Tarps, look under the trunk lid for a paint code sticker.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
goodness they really s(k)rewed you right proper back then for a radio! 😕

645 $ for a two bit cassette radio (30 minutes to fit)
995 $ Air conditioning (half a week dismantling the car, the other half putting it back!)

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Agreed. Not a combination that you see every day which is nice

·
Registered
1986 Spider Veloce
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update per my mechanic:

The new clutch and slave cylinder are in!
The flywheel was in pretty good shape and he only had to do a light resurfacing in-place.
He's waiting for the shift lever seal to arrive before finishing it up. It has been the cause of the major oil leak I've had in that area. He said all other seals looked good and this should stop the leak. My garage floor will be so happy.

I bought a new transmission mount so it could be replaced when the transmission was pulled but he said the mount that is in there looked brand new and possibly recently replaced - which surprises the heck out of me considering all the other neglected maintenance on this car. So I guess I have an extra mount for the parts bin!
He inspected everything else under the car and it looked good to him. no rust - which was one of the main reasons I bought the car.
He owns several spiders so I asked him to give it a good shake-down once it's together and give me a list of things he finds. I have no real frame of reference for it since the car has been in various states of disrepair since I bought it a few months ago.
Hopefully I can do any of the future repairs myself now that the clutch work is done.

I hope to take my first real drive by this weekend - fingers crossed!!(y)

·
Registered
1986 Spider Veloce
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update per my mechanic:

The new clutch and slave cylinder are in!
The flywheel was in pretty good shape and he only had to do a light resurfacing in-place.
He's waiting for the shift lever seal to arrive before finishing it up. It has been the cause of the major oil leak I've had in that area. He said all other seals looked good and this should stop the leak. My garage floor will be so happy.

I bought a new transmission mount so it could be replaced when the transmission was pulled but he said the mount that is in there looked brand new and possibly recently replaced - which surprises the heck out of me considering all the other neglected maintenance on this car. So I guess I have an extra mount for the parts bin!
He inspected everything else under the car and it looked good to him. no rust - which was one of the main reasons I bought the car.
He owns several spiders so I asked him to give it a good shake-down once it's together and give me a list of things he finds. I have no real frame of reference for it since the car has been in various states of disrepair since I bought it a few months ago.
Hopefully I can do any of the future repairs myself now that the clutch work is done.

I hope to take my first real drive by this weekend - fingers crossed!!(y)
Got the car back!
the clutch plate was worn well into the rivets. Like bad.
I had to relearn how to drive the car with the new clutch. It’s more of an on/off type of thing now rather than feathering it.
the car ran great! It’s the first time I’ve ever really been able to drive it.
I get it now!
Smiled all the way home.
I’ll eventually need to address the 2nd gear synchro but it’s not bad after warm-up.
The mechanic also recharged my ac and replaced the control module.
it blows nice and cold but my voltage gauge dips very low when I turn it on.
I cleaned all the connections at the junction block on the fender. I’ll charge up the battery overnight and see how it is tomorrow. The battery may just be low…
We’ll see.
But regardless…. New clutch = 👍😊

·
Registered
1986 Spider Veloce
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So when I run the car without the ac on it shows around 13v on the gauge. When I turn the ac on high it drops to 11.
Is this normal or do I need to consider a higher output alternator? Ac blower on low I’m right at 12v on the gauge. Medium drops it to 11.5.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts