Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There -

I'm helping my father-in-law get his Alfa Spider back on the road after it's been in the garage for about 15 years. It's a 1977 car, fuel injected and standard (US-spec, not California).

I've done a lot of work on old cars, but always with carbs, never fuel injection. I know the basics of getting a car back on the road, but what's the best way to deal with the injection setup to start the engine?

Should I just put in fresh fuel, draw it through by cranking and hope it'll fire, or is there another way to help the injection work again?

Any help appreciated!
Bruce:confused:

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Scroll down the forum's main page to find the section titled carburetors and fuel injection. Note the two 'sticky' posts - about SPICA FI.

I wouldn't just add some gas and hope. I'd want to make sure the SPICA pump and injectors are good to go. Them's would be some expensive bits to leave to hope & prayer...!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Heed Eric's Advice.

Don't just throw a battery in and crank it up. The fuel injection pump is the expensive part to fix/replace.
There is a huge volume of knowledge here...

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
From my frustrating experience, I will suggest you read, and better yet FOLLOW the guides to resurect a sleeping Spica system. Of the 4 or 5 issues that I possibly could have been plagued with, I had all of them. But I went about the diagnostics in a random manner, which caused me countless hours and $$$. These guys have the game plan, and had I follwed it as they suggested, I would have been a lot richer and had more hair right now. I must admit, after I did follow the rules as prescribed, my car has been.... do I dare say.... Flawless! Good luck. Send us pics... we love pics!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts