Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At risk of exposing my marginal mechanic skills. I have a question concerning spark plug removal in my 2.5L gtv6. All three of my sockets made for the larger spark plugs (not 5/8) won't fit down in the tube/hole. They all appear to be just a "hair" too large in outside diameter. I was more cautious than usual but I do believe that my sockets are just too big. Is there a special tool or something? Or do I simply shop for a thin wall spark plug socket. Maybe a twelve point or something. Thanks! albacore

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use the tool provided in the original tool kit. I'd send you one if I had an extra, maybe somebody has one they can give/sell you. Spark plug socket connected to a shaft with a universal, has a hole in the end to slide a T-handle through.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There IS a special tool available, seems like I got mine from IAP for a surprisingly reasonable price a long time ago. It's a nice chrome socket that fits just right.

BTW. what does that thread title have to do with anything... I call false advertising!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the length that's dogging me. Is the one in original tool kit "thin walled?

It does seem odd that none of my 3/8 sockets will fit. I also tried a 1/2 inch 12 pt.. It was too fat as well. thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There IS a special tool available, seems like I got mine from IAP for a surprisingly reasonable price a long time ago. It's a nice chrome socket that fits just right.

BTW. what does that thread title have to do with anything... I call false advertising!
It is a joke of sorts. I use it in the subject box of email correspondence. It lets people who know me, recognize the email as being ligit. I used it here for the first time and was immediately called on it. I know it gets peoples attention. Some like it others do not. Probably shelve it here at alfa BB.

So there is a special socket made for GTV6. Wonder why they needed to do this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The original one I have seen is stamped steel, so effectively thin walled. The length on the chrome one is only about 1 cm longer than the hole, but it IS super-long.

It does seem odd they didn't just make the hole the size of a normal socket, unless maybe the most common sockets when they designed the 2.5 V6 was a stamped steel one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe I was wrong, seems like the original one was alloy with a built in U-joint, here's an ad for one.

I couldn't find one at IAP just now. Maybe I got it elsewhere (Baum)? EDIT: not at Baum... I'll look at mine tomorrow for a part number, sorry I couldn't find it (on the web) tonight...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. A first for me. I may grind one of mine down. Good thing the car is running well. I just purchased it and need to visit the smogman. I went through most if not all other components. All seems in order. With maybe the exception of vacuum advance on distributer. Seemed sticky. Used some light oil a couple weeks ago. Haven't rechecked. Running pretty good though. albacore.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. A first for me. I may grind one of mine down. Good thing the car is running well. I just purchased it and need to visit the smogman. I went through most if not all other components. All seems in order. With maybe the exception of vacuum advance on distributer. Seemed sticky. Used some light oil a couple weeks ago. Haven't rechecked. Running pretty good though. albacore.
Thanks aTOMIc. Appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey aTOMIc. I just looked at the advert you forwarded. It must be deceiving to only look at the pictures. The socket portion of the tool doesn't look nearly big enough to fit over a spark plug. It lists in the specs that it is a 13/16 (21mm) socket. But it doesn't look like one. Also, in reading your post a second time did I catch wind of a length issue as well? As in normal socket length being too short? thanks again.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
That is the right one. No big deal about length, you just need to get pretty far down in the hole. I do have one socket kit where the spark plug socket included fits but most don't. The biggest pain is getting the drivers side plug closest to the fire wall out, I can't use the factory tool for this as it just doesn't want to bend in the right way to get around the brake reservoir on my Milano, so I end up using the socket in the kit that fits with a short extension.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I just went and checked, the socket that I have that fits is sears 44241:

Craftsman 13/16 in. Socket, 6 pt. - Tools - Ratchets & Sockets - Sockets & Socket Sets

The only issue is that it tends to get stuck on the plug when you are putting them back in (taking them out is no issue) so you have to wiggle it just right to avoid just pulling the extension out. Alternatively you could just pull the rubber gripper out of the socket when putting the plugs back in.

Kevin

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I use a 'standard' Craftsman spark plug socket. I've had it for ~ 40 years. Maybe the current crop are thicker walled? Perhaps to make them of adequate strength it's cheaper to make them a little thicker than of the better materials used in the olden days?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I pulled the rubber from my standard craftsman and it works well. I also use a "grabby tool" to lower the plugs down to the head surface. Just dropping them into the hole will close up the electrode (assuming not Lodge).

Grinding the outside of your curretn socket sounds like a reasonable alternative.

Mark

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Right, 13/16" Spark Plug socket, 3/8" drive.

Since I don't have the factory tool, I use a 3" and 6" (methinks) drive extensions with a universal joint in the middle. When Pulling, I leave the rubber grommet in, and when installing I remove the grommet, and lower the plug in first, before starting them by hand with the socket attached to the extension. Always use anti-seize. Torque to 18 to 25ft lbs.

The reason I remove the grommet when installing is because after tightening, the socket will usually stay with the plug when you yank the extension out if you leave the rubber grommet on there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
$45 for the factory tool seemed a bit pricey. When I don't have the factory tool I use a MAC Tools spark plug socket which has a thin wall, short drive extension and a non-ratcheting 3/8" drive handle (so the head profile is very low). BTW, with the factory tool I have been able to access all six plug wells.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gtv6 spark plug tool

It may get attention now but when someone else has the same issue, this thread, which holds the answer, will not come up in search.
Thanks for all the responses to this thread. It is comforting to know that I wasn't miss judging the situation with using a normal spark plug socket (3/8 drive). And I am ahead of the game with both the #6 cyl and removing a socket after replacing the plug. I have a similar socket that the rubber has already been removed from a previous car application. However, that one fit in the hole without any problem.

And I do get it on the thread topic choice. It being my first time starting a thread. I now see the importance of the title for future reference by others. (I didn't realize that it would show back at the main list of topics) It does seem out of place there. Lesson learned. I have had nothing but success and good experiences from this sight so thanks to all for that.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Did a kwik search on lap dances, got 4 results. Get 2 of the sockets, one with the grommet, one without. But then I have too many tools and too much time on my hands. ciao, chris

1 - 20 of 24 Posts