Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant find out how many automatic spiders were built. the only info i could find was how many total spiders were built each year.

does anyone know the breakdown of automatics built per year?

thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Why not start collecting data on this subject? I have friends that do this with some of the British cars I own and see no reason it can't be done with the Alfa Spiders. You can start with my car if you would like. I'd be happy to give you any data you might need from my car.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It would be sort of nice to have a registry of Spider automatics. It could accompany my Spider CE registry (which has about 1/4 of the CEs on it now!)

Should be fairly easy to do since all were (supposedly) sold in the US.

I've heard estimates of the number sold, but I don't recall exactly.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Somewhere I heard that <180 were sold in the US. I just don't recall where.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
200 automatic transmission equipped Spiders were made per year since 1971. Since then, approximately 30 per year have been scrapped or wrecked. Somewhere in North America, there is a car lot with only auto equipped Spiders. Alfa company officials mandated only 200 cars be produced per year to satisfy drivers who wanted a sports car, but couldn't use a manual transmission. Since then, the cars have become somewhat of a collector car, and folks lucky enough to find one have to pay a premium price. The transmissions are sought after since they do not suffer the dreaded second gear crunch.

This information was taken from the same sources who wrote the Chicken Alfredo Code.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...to satisfy women and effeminate drivers who wanted a sports car, but couldn't use a manual transmission. ....
I realize that your post is meant to be humorous, but your characterization of drivers who favor an automatic is not...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Okay, maybe wimps, sissies, anyone else who can't drive a exotic sports car with a manual transmission...??? Why would you want a four cylinder engined sports car with an auto trans?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Okay, maybe wimps, sissies, anyone else who can't drive a exotic sports car with a manual transmission...??? Why would you want a four cylinder engined sports car with an auto trans?
Hey I would buy one if I could afford one. In my younger days I took a lot of [email protected] for putting an automagic trans & power steering in my '62 Toyota Land Crusher. However, that soon turned into transmission & power steering envy. Of course I would have never flaunted what was envied.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Okay, Okay- sorry if I offended anyone!

Personally, I reject my reality and substitue my own by not wanting a auto transmission in any sports car with a four cylinder engine.

My wife refuses to drive any vehicle without an auto transmission. She dosen't know what she's missing not wanting to drive my Spider. But, it would take away driving time from me if she did want to drive my Spider....

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
Well I have one of each an auto spider and a manual spider. They both have their uses. Have you driven the auto, Duke58? It's a surprisingly fun car, lots of pep and still corners like a spider should.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am repairing a 91 spider automatic. I still have a lot to go. Especially in dash vibrations while driving. That drives me crazy. So far I have replaced fuel pumps, alternator, brake calipers and pads, tie rod ends, motor mounts, springs and shocks. Still need to work on wiring and try to get the speedometer and odometer to register as it is a big guess on when to get gas. Yesterday I filled up with 10.8 gallons. I think I had around 2 gallons left but don't really know if the reserve is counted with the tank capacity or in addition.

Randy

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Yesterday I filled up with 10.8 gallons. I think I had around 2 gallons left but don't really know if the reserve is counted with the tank capacity or in addition. ...
The tank has a capacity of 12.2 gallons, including the reserve. The low fuel indicator light comes on when there are between 1.8 and 1.5 gallons left, which is considered the reserve.

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i emailed craig morningstar who is affiliated with alfa to get this info and he didnt know.

for my own personal knowledge - i am just looking for:

# of automatics from 91-94

# of green spiders from 91-94

thanks

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i emailed craig morningstar who is affiliated with alfa to get this info and he didnt know.

for my own personal knowledge - i am just looking for:

# of automatics from 91-94

# of green spiders from 91-94

thanks
can anyone help?

i would think some alfista has this info.

thanks

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
According to the Ce registry, so far, none of them are autos. Maybe some will show up as more Ce's are found.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts