Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get a repro starter from my GTV from Classic Alfa. Any reason I shouldn't do that? I still have the OEM starter, which I could have rebuilt, but the new ones are claimed to be lighter and better. True? False?

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
It looks like a later model Bosch starter, maybe a reproduction. The longer, slimmer main body of the Bosch indicates a permanent magnet motor with planetary gear reduction. I have had good experience with the Bosch versions. I wonder where the CA starter is made?

·
Richard Jemison
7,374 Posts
I would suggest getting a factory (Bosch) lightweight starter. They are much stronger than the old 2 brush starters (the fat heavy ones)

If you know the # of teeth on the flywheel (130 or 131 ) you can find these often on the BB or always at Alfa Parts Exchange.
The one for 131 tooth ring gears is: 0 001 108 024 (1986-1989 spider)
For the 130 tooth: 0 001 108 081(1990-1994 spider)

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok - sounds like later model has advantages over the old style. That was the main question.

The CA I put up there is not Bosch...not sure its origin. But locating a Bosch won’t be too hard. Thanks!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,493 Posts
For the record that's the same upgraded starter that's in the '74 you sold me. It seems to work fine.

If you're going to spend money the gear reduction starters are pretty cool. I never used one in an Alfa but I put one in my old Triumph and it worked way better than the original one. Classic Alfa sells those as well, you might want to see what people's experiences are.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am planning to get a repro starter from my GTV from Classic Alfa. Any reason I shouldn't do that? I still have the OEM starter, which I could have rebuilt, but the new ones are claimed to be lighter and better. True? False?

I bought the same starter but an 8-tooth to replace my oem. It failed after 2 months. Ordered another one, failed after around 3 months. So bought a rebuilt OEM one which is what is currently installed. I spoke to CA and it doesn't seem anyone else has had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Tom,
The post 85 Bosch starters are gear reduction. They use a planetary gear,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,493 Posts
Huh, I did not know that. Classic Alfa also sells the EL041 which is specifically called out as gear reduction, so I assumed the Bosch-ish one was just standard.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
I was skeptical until I pulled one apart.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I bought a lightweight starter a year or two back from AH and it was a WOSP one. I smile every time I crank my engine as it sounds sooo strong and even when the battery is low (because I haven't started for months...) it cranks like a champion. One of the best things I've done was to replace the old one.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Interesting. Mine is a '69, so 8 tooth I guess. Working well now but I always fit a starter (ignition switch) relay to my cars. Are the Hi-Torque starters any more damaging to the ring gear?

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
They only generate the amount of torque necessary to spin the engine but they are likely to spin it faster. They most likely have a higher max torque capability. I have not heard of ring gear problems.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the record that's the same upgraded starter that's in the '74 you sold me. It seems to work fine.

If you're going to spend money the gear reduction starters are pretty cool. I never used one in an Alfa but I put one in my old Triumph and it worked way better than the original one. Classic Alfa sells those as well, you might want to see what people's experiences are.
Ah didn't know that...came with the car when I got it. That thing cranks like a champ. Good to know.

·
Registered
645 Posts
When I first purchased my Spider the first thing that had to be done was replacing the starter. I remember the mechanic stating he was putting a smaller but stronger bosh. This starter has been great.

Ken Smith

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought a lightweight starter a year or two back from AH and it was a WOSP one. I smile every time I crank my engine as it sounds sooo strong and even when the battery is low (because I haven't started for months...) it cranks like a champion. One of the best things I've done was to replace the old one.
was it a straight forward bolt on?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've said this here before, but I would strongly recommend that you put in a new gear reduction starter (Denso guts I think) . I did in 2014 and it has been maybe the best improvement I've made to my '73 Spider in my 46+ years of ownership. The engine spins so much faster that it is a revelation. I bought mine from Andy Kress @ Performatek. Performatek is still around although their web site isn't the best. It's not cheap but it's worth every dollar. Do it and don't look back.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
I bought mine from Andy Kress @ Performatek. Performatek is still around although their web site isn't the best. It's not cheap but it's worth every dollar. Do it and don't look back.
Andy will only sell products that he believes are superior. It is often cheaper in the long run to pay a little more up front.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts