Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfabb members,
I Daily drive a 1994 Alfa 164 LS with an automatic. Since I daily drive It my father graciously took it in to the shop which comes highly recommended on various forums and here also I believe. (Dominick's european car repair) Now since I got it back it's been running like a dream. However, there is an odd noise I hear underneath the car during extreme braking. During extreme braking underneath around the pedal and the center console, there is a grinding noise. Sounding like a vibration of sorts. As many east coasters know, this winter was monstrous for pot holes and snow. I'll be honest some pot holes I have hit but they weren't big enough to make this noise. LMK if you guys think this is serious enough to take it back urgently.
Chris Pellegrini
Scarsdale,NY

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Chris:

The answer is certainly "yes, you should take it back".

But, without hearing/feeling the noise or knowing what work Dominick's performed on your car, I can't diagnose what the problem is or how serious it might be. But it's always best to err on the side of caution.

If I had to guess, it's possible that one of those pothole impacts broke a motormount, allowing your engine/trans to shift during braking, bringing a rotating part into contact with the body and causing the grinding noise.

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
"there is an odd noise I hear underneath the car during extreme braking. During extreme braking underneath around the pedal and the center console, there is a grinding noise. Sounding like a vibration of sorts."

While it very well may not be, is it possible that it is the brake antiskid system doing it's thing, releasing and reengaging the brakes? You do say this occurs under extreme braking, which is pretty much when this system is supposed to work. You will get noise and vibration when this system turns on.

There is a section in the Owner's Manual which describes this system, how it works and when it will be active.

Do you get any noise or vibration under less extreme circumstances, as in ordinary driving?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Last time I had a noise like that it turned out I had a slightly bent brake shield that was rubbing the rotor during hard braking. I just took the wheel off and bent it slightly. Job done.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
So what did this repair shop do to the car when they had it in for repair?

·
Premium Member
15,845 Posts
The key I think is that he says it happens (only?) at extreme braking, although I'm not sure what his idea of extreme braking is. Is it just hard but regular braking, or is it pretty much nearer to a panic style mode?

I would think anything awhack in the braking system otherwise would probably cause a noise and vibration at lower speeds as well.

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts