Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tooling along and '84 Spider will 'die', gauges, engine, stereo, everything just shuts off like I flipped a switch.

Turn key to off position, and then back to on, and it flips back to life and will either gear drag start the engine or I can engage starter in neutral.

May happen once or twice in the 130 mile round trip work commute, may go a couple days without happening at all.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
loose battery connections maybe? (and check the battery ground cable-to-body bolt)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah...is Spider one of those that requires battery in circuit while running? That could very well be it then as I have a quick disconnect on mine for when I store it.

It's laid up for a few days due to unexpected North Carolina snow but I'm going to check that connection out!!

loose battery connections maybe? (and check the battery ground cable-to-body bolt)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ground fault had to.rewire my 84 for weird electrical probs mostly loose.wires and grounds. Luckily had me ch who.was ADHD so he wouldn't quit till he found the grounds

·
Registered
549 Posts
Check the status of the cable which runs from the starter to the junction block on the driver's inner quarter panel. My (carbed) alfa would at random times become completely dead. Everything would be dead, and the key wouldn't work. Sometimes it would restart immediately, other times it would take a few minutes. It turns out that the power cable from the starter to the jnction point had a break in it. It would be intermittent. I got lucky and diagnosed it before it left me stranded for more than 25 minutes in a Walmart parking lot.

If this happens again, try turning your lights on - they should be independent of the key, so if they don't turn on either, its your overall power supply. So then investigate the battery connection, junction block, fuse box. I feel that grounds would be inconsequential when looking at a system wide failure like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts