Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
This was my first ever time trial. I started by taking the Alfa street performance school last february. I had a good time and met many great people. I was doing well in the practice sessions chasing Gifford around the track.

By the way congratulation on your win Gifford.

I taped the the second session of Sunday, which happened to be my best. I didn't do well in the timed laps. I think I may have gotten 1 good lap. I didn't stick around to see what my times were.

http://www.safie.com/_mr2/alfasession2.WMV

I can use any comments that can help me improve my driving.

This was me. The Batmobile, as it was nicknamed for shooting flames. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice video..

Is that me, the green nissan, around 6 minute or so?

Anyways.. Nice to meet all the people..

I also couldn't see the time sheet, so wondering my lap time..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Silversprint, your line around the track is very good. I don't see any big mistakes at all, just a couple of little things you might want to try.

On the exit of turn 2, try to touch the inside apex, which is very late, and only drift left to half-way to two-thirds left. You don't gain much from going all the way left, and you add some distance that you've got to cover again on the way back to the entry to 3.

On turn 3, stay all the way right on the entrance. You do it sometimes, but then sometimes you're almost a car width further left than you want to be.

Exiting turn 4 go all the way to the left side of the track, and stay there a little longer before you turn in and point yourself at the braking zone for turn 5. You'll get a smoother line and be able to carry a little more speed this way.

At the exit of 8, you're doing the same thing as you do with turn 2. Go all the way to the inside late apex on the right (it's where the little straight begins) and you won't need to use all the track-out on the exit. If you only drift to mid track on the exit from 8, you can create a smoother arc as you drift left for the entrance to 9. (Plus, you've got the left half of the track as a safety net for when you start increasing your speeds through 8)

But these are really minor points. Overall, your line is really very good. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks Jack. I actually watched the training video you made last week before I went to the track. It gave me an idea of what to expect. I appreciate the comments on my driving. I will try them next time out.

I plan to run Big willow again in the next few months. People tell me to run Streets because it's technical and will improve my driving but I definitely enjoyed Big Willow more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love the big track. With Streets, you learn it, and it's pretty much done. But with the big track, for whatever reason, you can get the basics down in a couple of sessions and still be fine tuning your lines and finding improvements five years later.

What is it they say, 'a minute to learn, a lifetime to master?'

If that's your first visit to the big track, then you're really doing great. You'll be in the :30's before too long.

What are the specs on that fire-breathing MR2?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The MR2 weighed in at 2476 with driver on Sunday. It has an aftermarket turbo kit that puts the horse power somewhere between 180-200hp. Engine is stock.

Suspension is tein coilvers. It has a saner front swaybar. Brakes are stock with ABS, SS lines, and panther plus pads. Tires are 225/16 front and 245/16 rear hankook RS2s.

The car had a widebody kit and can accomodate tire as big as a 285 on the rear. I could go to bigger tires but that would screw up my gearing even more.

Gearing is not the best. I would hit redline in 4th before turn 8. Shifting to 5th gear and the car would simply coast to turn 9. There is no acceleration in 5th.

Also I need a better clutch. I had to run the lowest boost the turbo would do (6psi). I tried running 8psi and at 4K rpms the clutch would slip and engine rev to redline.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
BB members too top honors in each Alfa Class. Good job boys!

One thing... why is Dirk Stoehr on the list of results? We had all his cars loaded right after the Alfa Cup race? Could they have the wrong name next to #7?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Silversprint,

You line is very good. You'll improve at least 2-3 seconds by the next event, don't worry about it. BTW, isn't that an MRS? Do you have just an aftermarket turbo or is it the HKS twincharger (super and turbo) for the 4AGZE?

Jorge,

You're in class B with me hehe! Next year, 1st Willow event, hope to see you there. By then my car should be partially stripped down (but still weighs 2700 lbs :mad: ) and I'm hoping to get a little more power out of the engine after a few more dyno sessions and a little bit of tweaking here and there. If I get down to about 1:39, then I will call it quits for Willow Springs permanently.

Better just enjoy what I can now, when Jes' 330 bhp Milano comes to town, party is over.

Zamani

·
Registered
913 Posts
italcarguy said:
... why is Dirk Stoehr on the list of results? We had all his cars loaded right after the Alfa Cup race? Could they have the wrong name next to #7?
Interesting. According to the registration database file, Dirk registered car #7 for the Time Trial (gray GTV). The same database file is used to generate the TT run list for the timing system and the timing system software won't work if there are two or more cars with the same number. So, some car ran as #7. It's possible that a number fall off or that someone had a number that was really, really hard to read. I checked to see if I could account for all the cars that had a "7" in their number and I can. So, short of someone telling us they didn't get into the results, I don't see how we could resolve this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bruce Colby said:
Interesting. According to the registration database file, Dirk registered car #7 for the Time Trial (gray GTV). The same database file is used to generate the TT run list for the timing system and the timing system software won't work if there are two or more cars with the same number. So, some car ran as #7. It's possible that a number fall off or that someone had a number that was really, really hard to read. I checked to see if I could account for all the cars that had a "7" in their number and I can. So, short of someone telling us they didn't get into the results, I don't see how we could resolve this.
This car ran in group 3.

·
Registered
130 Posts
75evo said:
Silversprint,

You line is very good. You'll improve at least 2-3 seconds by the next event, don't worry about it. BTW, isn't that an MRS? Do you have just an aftermarket turbo or is it the HKS twincharger (super and turbo) for the 4AGZE?
MRS with aftermarket turbo. It has the 1zz engine.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The Milano with the #7 is BB member Jes aka (AR4me).
Nope, that's not mine! Mine is 188 - in group 1, class D. I recognize the red verde as Phil's. Forgot the last name - he is a customer of yours, Anthony.

Here is a pic of mine

Jes

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Jes,

You're running 17" wheels on the Milano now? And difference in performance (acceleration) ?

I recognize car #7. At Buttonwillow it suffered a blown hose problem and I was looking in my parts bin the short hose to join the t-stat housing to the heads.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Zamani,
I went from 16x7 (Team Dynamics) with 205/45-16 to 17x7 (Team Dynamics Pro Race I) with 205/40-17. I weighed both wheels with same street tires, BF Goodrich G-force sport. The 16" combo is 39.5 lbs per wheel, and the 17" combo is 37.5 lbs :) Obviously, this is due to the lighter rims. It was my first time at the big track at WSR, so I can't really compare hard acceleration facts (=speed on straights), but by seat-of-the-pants I haven't noticed much. The real reason for changing was that one of the 16" had a crack and I did not have time to get it repaired before the event. The 17" will probably go on the 3.7, eventually.
Jes

81 - 100 of 102 Posts