Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what octane fuel, peopel are using in their spiders. I have a 94, and was thinking, "do I put low stuff and see if it pings or just go to higher octane right from the start...Please, this may be a dumb question, but I am not really that mechanical.

·
Administrator
17,768 Posts
Not a dumb question. The '94 Spider was designed to use high octaine fuel (higher compression pistons). Other models were designed to use 'regular' octane fuel. Using a higher octane than required only wastes money. It will not make the engine run better or more powerfully.

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so I have available, 87, 89 and I think 92, as I don't have a manual for this car, ( should look for one) does anyone know what grade is best for my car
? thanks

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha, and opps, it is a 92, not a 94. fat fingers

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks...man are they going to get me at the pump...hahaha well I can't take it with me.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You can try 89 octane"midgrade" and if you are not experiencing any "pinging" on hard acceleration, that is the grade you need.
You should also try to avoid fuel that "may contain 10% Ethanol" as it will give you reduced mileage. A number of fuel pumps do NOT have the "may contain"....go to them even if fuel is a bit more expensive.
All you need is enough octane to give you spirited acceleration without "pinging" all the extra octane does is lighten your wallet.

Elio (retired Engineering Associate from one of the "Major" oil Importers)

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks. trat is what my friend uses in his bemer z3

·
Registered
147 Posts
just a note about fuel , some companys blend the midgrade from low and high octane tanks at there pumps this can get you up and down octane numbers.
and outher companys will only have two tanks one low and one high octane grades, these companys (mostly small mom and pop places) will sell low oct and the mid and high are the same octane. there is no law that said if it is 89 it cant be higher octane just not lower.
I have not worked for the gas company for a few years . and gas is a lot more money ,so it would be harder to find a station that is like this. When you find one that work well for your car and driving habits. try your best to stay with that company all over the states.
It never hurts to ask :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
ok thanks. trat is what my friend uses in his bemer z3
What does the z3 have to do with your s4, both Euro cars, yes, but 2 different Compagnies, 2 different Counties, 2 different model years.
My grand mothers VW type 1 ran on low grade gas so I'll run my brand new VW Golf GTI on low grade gas, as all VWs are the same.
Erik

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they ARE BOTH ROADSTERS? anyway, I am trying to learn, so I may say something that doesn't make sense, I am good at that..ask my x wife.

What does the z3 have to do with your s4, both Euro cars, yes, but 2 different Compagnies, 2 different Counties, 2 different model years.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Octane needs also depends on altitude. Up here at 7,000 feet, many engines that require premium at sea level can run on mid grade or even regular.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My philosophi on octane is; it cost only a few cents extra per mile to run premium grade but $1000s to wreck an engine.
In Denmark I pay 48 US cents per US gallon extra for Shell V-Power 99 octane (Euro) over 95 octane.
Erik

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we don't even have 95 octane, here in the states....unless the numbering in europe is different

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
My philosophi on octane is; it cost only a few cents extra per mile to run premium grade but $1000s to wreck an engine.
In Denmark I pay 48 US cents per US gallon extra for Shell V-Power 99 octane (Euro) over 95 octane.
Erik
True, but remember, you dont wreck an engine if you are informed on what your car needs, then pay for adequate octane,. That will satisfy the need.

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the small amount of fuel that the spider uses, I will use what ever protects it...my plan is to have the car outlast me...well, I guess that is not so much, but I want to die, and still have the car in my driveway.

·
1992 spider S4
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahaha, I have stock in BP, so that is where I will go

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
spill some when you fill up, they're good at that:)

I run mid grade with 11mm cams and motronics and a bunch of other stuff and can't tell any diff between that and premium, haven't tried "regular"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts