Alfa Romeo Forums banner

OBD Scanner for 164

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  pinino 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I've searched the forum but it didn't answer the following questions:

1. Can I simply use a 3 pin (fiat) type obd 1 to 16 pin type obd 2 converter / adapter cable to connect the 164 to an obd 2 scanner? Will it work or does the motronic 1.7 ecu on my twin spark not support obd 2 scanners?

2. If I can find an obd 1 scanner, will I be able to use it to check live diagnosis / parameters such as engine coolant temp, rpm etc?

3. Where exactly is the 3 pin type obd connector on the 164? Near radio wires? Wire colors pls?

As you may know, my speedometer unit does not function at the moment. We are still unable to diagnose the problem with it, but until it is sorted out, we need an alternative way to keep an eye on engine coolant temp etc.
I've seen obd2 scanners that support this, but I also know that the 164, being a 95 car, doesn't support obd 2 scanners due to its 3 pin type connector, hence the 1st question.

Thank you.
Zaid

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Alfa 164 Diagostics software

Hello

Thank you for the links and help, Evgeny and Max.

I've still not looked for the 3-pin connector but I hope to find it with ease.

Max, you think it would work with mine? Coz I've got a 1.7 motronic system I believe.

HOWEVER,
I found this thread with a little bit of googling:

http://alfaromeo164register.com/diagnostics/index.php

DETAILED HELP AND ALL NECESSARY SOFTWARE FOR YOUR ALFA 164 DIAGNOSTICS. Hope it helps everyone who needs it!

Anyone here already tried it? Does it show live parameters such as Engine Coolant temp etc?

Thank You
Zaid

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pdf document you've shared Max.

I followed instructions you've laid out there, but I have the following problems:

1. I cannot verify if I have an M1.7 or 4.1 motronic ecu.
I've attached a picture, if you can help me verify it by the ref number on it.

2. My car doesn't have a 4 pin wire such as yours, like you've shown in your document. There is a 2 pin wire very close to the 3 pin obd connector coming out of the same wiring harness for the ecu.
I've attached a pic for your reference.

Also, can you confirm if I will be able to use the led + switch method to read codes by the blinking led itself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.