Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. The other day I was trying to replace my O2 sensor and just couldnt figure out how to get the darn thing out... there just doesnt seem to be enough clearance.

Is there an alfa specific tool required? Does the exhaust need to come off?

I'm stumped as far as this one goes, any help would be appreciated.

Car is a 1985 GTV6 with one three wire O2 sensor.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
They make a special O2 sensor socket, it is a 22mm I think with a slit all the way down it to put the wire through when you tighten or loosen it. You may need to drop the exhaust down a little to get the room to use the socket.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just did my 83's a few months back by jacking up the front drivers side of the car, crawled under with a wrench - it was very easy, I can't imagine there'd be much if any difference to any 85. For some reason I am remembering that I wrenched it from up and around - in another words the wrench went in from the passenger side of the exhaust not the drivers side ... if that makes sense.

GV

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
They make a special O2 sensor socket, it is a 22mm I think with a slit all the way down it to put the wire through when you tighten or loosen it. You may need to drop the exhaust down a little to get the room to use the socket.
I've got the O2 sensor socket, if I recall correctly it needed about an inch or so more room to be able to get on there. I guess I'll have to take another look at it tomorrow. I was trying to do it from the drivers side so that may have been the problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I just needed a different socket, the one I had was a good 2.5" long. Managed to replace it last night and just got back from getting it smogged.

I'm shocked, passed with flying colors...

With the original cat it scored:

Reading: Allowed:
HC PPM 44 173
CO% 0.03 0.98
NOx PPM 670 1323
CO+CO2% 14.1 6 minimum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts