Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TWO O-rings NEEDED for oil ports to feed HEADS

When replacing heads on 164 engines LOOK CLOSELY at two hollow oil port dowel pins (not two head aligning pins). Each one of these oil dowels takes an o-ring in groove. They should have sent you a o-ring with each head gasket. If not order them using Alfa part number.

Alfa part number for o-rings are 60513359 item 14 in picture you need one for each side if engine.

Granted head gasket may have ribbed rubber washer molded into head gasket for around oil port dowels but orings are extra added protection to prevent oil leaks into coolant system and should be replaced with new correct size ones.

Be sure it is right size to fit into groove once you remove old o-rings. O-ring you got with head gasket maybe to big if it was packaged for Milano or GTV6.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
TWO O-rings NEEDED for oil ports to feed HEADS

When replacing heads on 164 engines LOOK CLOSELY at two hollow oil port dowel pins (not two head aligning pins). Each one of these oil dowels takes an o-ring in groove. They should have sent you a o-ring with each head gasket. If not order them using Alfa part number.

Alfa part number for o-rings are 60513359 item 14 in picture you need one for each side if engine.

Granted head gasket may have ribbed rubber washer molded into head gasket for around oil port dowels but orings are extra added protection to prevent oil leaks into coolant system and should be replaced with new correct size ones.

Be sure it is right size to fit into groove once you remove old o-rings. O-ring you got with head gasket maybe to big if it was packaged for Milano or GTV6.

Can't edit these posts anymore so here is an amendment/correction:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/447170-post34.html

The oring that comes with head gasket should be correct size for groove in oil dowel pins as starting in mid 1987 Milano engines came with grooved pin and o-ring configuration same as the 164. Factory bulletin states to use only one o-ring in groove when using new style head gasket with molded in viton seal in head gasket around oil dowel hole.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Steve, you saved my butt on this one! I didn't even pay attention until you mentioned it. Just got home from the shop...12:30am! Started at about 12:00 this afternoon. Got both heads on. (with new o rings) And, got the new oil pump in. WOW! That is pretty much pull the engine or cuss a whole lot and drop the sub frame low enough to get the rod in. All is on the car so tomorrow after work all I have to do is tighten the belts, finish hooking up the small hoses and installing the new center muffler.
Sheesh... I think I'll stick to the Alfettas from now on. When I switched to the big valve head on the Alfetta I probably had (maybe) four hours into it and was back on the road.

Thanks!!
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts