Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Once again, I need to turn to the board for info I can't get anywhere else...:)

The glass faces on my Giulietta gauges rattle like crazy. Another Giulietta owner has told me that they are missing an inner O-ring, which is causing the rattles.

I ordered gauge O-rings from Re-Originals, but they appear to be outer O-rings. I don't see any inner rings offered/sold anywhere.

I have a receipt showing that Palo Alto Speedo rebuilt the gauges more than 10 years ago. So, I called them to see if they had the specs on the inner rings. I was hoping that with the specs, I could source them from McMaster-Carr, or somewhere similar (or even buy them from Palo Alto). Anyway, Palo Alto Speedo told me that they were too busy to get the specs for me. :confused:

Can any of the Alfisti out there confirm the existence of the inner O-ring, and/or tell me what the specs for them are.

I am assuming that cross-section diameter, and overall diameter would be what is needed.

Thanks again everybody!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
11,386 Posts
If you are planning to take the gauges apart yourself, to get at the ring behind the glass, it is a simple matter to go to a large hardware store or plumbing supply and match yours up to whats available. Less expensive as well.
Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I think the o-ring you are referring to is the one that is seated inside the chome bezel that has the tabs that closes the face of the unit. I have had success taking a triangular cross section from a wiper blade and trimmed it to fit very nicely. A dab of windshield sealer will keep it from fogging at the dew point. Rick

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More on the O-rings...

I went over to get some help from anothe Giulietta owner on this. He had some old, rough gauges, and we popped the bezels off of them to take a look at the O-rings inside.

It turns out that they have a triangular cross-section, not a circular one like I expected. One that came out of the old gauges was just like new. Others were more stiff and beginning to crack.

I took my own gauges off and the O-rings in mine were pretty bad. I used the good one, and the best of the O-rings in the two rattling gauges. I also noticed that the little tabs on the back were not bent down very tight. So, I tapped them down a bit, and that cured the rattling.

I will post a picture of the cross-section, and I will email to see if new ones are available.

Jon

·
Registered
288 Posts
Substitution gauge o-rings

I agree with divotandtralee...

I dismantled the gauges of my Giulietta to have a look at what they need... and the "o-rings" are dried and breaking up (what's new?) and, looking at their cross-section the imediate idea was to substitute them with cut-to-measure wiper blades... unless of course you have some proper ones available.

Regards
Carlos Vasconcelos

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View of the O-ring cross-section

Hi all,

I took a picture of the cross-section of the triangular O-ring. Keep in mind that this is from one of the dry, broken rings, and the cross-section may be distorted from the original shape. You should get the idea anyway.

I will send an email asking about the availability of these rings and report back.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jonathan,
The "O-rings" that I have are in fact "O" rings that fit perfectly, there is one size for the gauge and a different size one for the bezel. Regarding the piece that you show on the AlfaBB, I would suspect that it was not triangular shaped when new but was compressed into that shape after being tightened down for many years and hardened, not that it matters.

Unless someone has an NOS ring "never been installed" for comparison, the cross section is just speculation. FYI, on most of the gauges that I have disassembled, the color of the "O-ring" is green. The are available from McMaster-Carr in large quantities, if there was enough demand, I would order another lot of each.

BTW, why don't all the Giulietta/Giulia 750/101 owners join the 750/101 digest???

Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for getting back to us about the O-rings.

You mentioned in your PM that old O-rings that you had seen were green in color. Of the four that I have taken apart so far, all were originally black in color. Though four is not a big enough sample size to make a judgement. I did notice that there was a small amount of some play-dough like packing material in the area that was a lime green color. There wasn't a pea sized amount on the whole gauge combined, though.

One of the four O-rings that I saw looked as though it were new...flexible, soft, and uncracked. I very much doubt that it originally had a circular cross section. So, my best guess is still that these O-rings were specially made for this purpose.

However, I have every reason to believe that a properly sized circular O-ring would do the job just fine. Do you feel like you could share the sizes of the O-rings that you used? If that info is proprietary to a business that you are running, then that is totally understandable. Otherwise, it might help out the Giulietta community.

By the 750/101 digest, do you mean the 750/101 Yahoo group?

Thanks,

Jon

Jonathan,
The "O-rings" that I have are in fact "O" rings that fit perfectly, there is one size for the gauge and a different size one for the bezel. Regarding the piece that you show on the AlfaBB, I would suspect that it was not triangular shaped when new but was compressed into that shape after being tightened down for many years and hardened, not that it matters.

Unless someone has an NOS ring "never been installed" for comparison, the cross section is just speculation. FYI, on most of the gauges that I have disassembled, the color of the "O-ring" is green. The are available from McMaster-Carr in large quantities, if there was enough demand, I would order another lot of each.

BTW, why don't all the Giulietta/Giulia 750/101 owners join the 750/101 digest???

Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

·
Registered
86 Posts
No secret regarding the O-rings and no I don't have an Alfa business, I am just a guy with three '65 Spider Veloces at the moment and the requisite garage full/attic full of parts - also the president of "Alfa Owners of New England" (one of the best chapters in the country do in large part to our "do everything" guy, Dave Pratt! see www.velocissima.com )

I just have to 'find' the packages from McMaster Carr to find the numbers, will post when I do. I did a "group buy" for the benefit of the 750/101 Yahoo group (yes, that's the one) some time ago so that's why you got my name.

Ya'll should join the 750/101 Yahoo group if you all are not already members:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/alfaromeo750-101/

Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts