Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The NW Alfa Club's corsa committee had a very successful performance driving school yesterday at Bremerton Motorsports Park. It was a follow-on to a beginner school held on March 02, and built nicely on the skillsets that were introduced there. I just wanted to put out notice here that we have a full schedule of track days this season, both at Bremerton and at Pacific Raceways in Kent, WA. Please see the club website for the full schedule, (http://home.att.net/~borrani/) but the next event is a lapping day at BMP on April 11th, a Friday. Please feel free to join us if you're local, or plan to be in the area on that date!
Yesterday was a blast, with a mixed bag of weather, from driving rain and hail, to warm sunshine and balmy breezes...just about perfect to expose the students to a variety of traction situations.
There were break-outs in the morning, where smaller groups went to different stations and went through a ground school, a large handling oval and a short autocross. Then after a hot lunch (provided), we had three run-groups, based on experience and skill level, and were able to run the entire course. Instructors were available in-car for anyone with qualms or with too little experience to solo.
We had a pretty fair turnout of Alfas yesterday...3 GTVs, 3GTV6s, 2 Alfettas, 1 Milano, plus a great variety of Porsches, Minis, Volkswagens, etc. I still can't get the smile off my face from that moment where it finally began to "click", and I started to experience what it was like to control my car on that fine edge. I'm sure you veteran performance drivers can remember what that's like.
Anyway, you're welcome to come out and play with us.
Thanks, Patrick Hood, NWARC

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I know how you feel, I just recently did a Peformance school aswell. Lot of fun!

I just get bummed out, when there are more non Italian car's at the event's, it'd be nice if more showed. One thing that bug's me at our track club event's, is we get no priority as far as Alfa's getting the first fill in spot's, that's what kinda suck's. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. We have talked about a set-aside for Alfas for the PR dates, because they always fill up, but no action yet. I was actually driving a (cough cough) German car yesterday. My Spiders don't have rollbars. Our situation is that we can use the revenue, so until we start being TOO full, we'll probably carry on with the status quo.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Yeah... It would just be nice for Alfa's to fill in the first spot's and then let the other's in till it fill's.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Patrick,

Welcome to the BB!

If you would like to post events to the calendar you are more then welcome. It's really a great feature of the site that Im trying to get everyone to use more and more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
No Alfa Priority?

Snaidy,

Are you referring to people who OWN Alfas, or people that are club members. You know, there is no requirement that you own an Alfa to join the AROC. Alfas DO get proirity, too. Any Alfa that is entered in the Alfa Cup race can also race in the non-Alfa race for free (providing we are not oversold, like at Laguna Seca). Non Alfas can't race in the Alfa cup race. Priority. When we expect a sellout, like Laguna, mailers are sent to members and regulars first, then the remainder go out a week later. Priority. We very rarely have to turn people away. The school sells out, as well as Laguna Seca. We also warn everyone when we expect a sellout. I think that the Competiton Board is doing an outstanding job. No other club offers as much bang for the buck, and to date we are very healthy in a rough economy.

We are a club, made up of members. Great members. Some members have Alfas, some don't. We cannot treat people differently if they members, they support us, they come to our events, and they own an Alfa or a skateboard or whatever.

Sucks? I don't think so. I guess you are entitled to your own opinion. I think we have a fantastic club.

Brad

·
Registered
241 Posts
Another thing.....

Did you ever notice that members get a DISCOUNT on our events? Seems like another priority.

Maybe what you are really trying to say is that the national AROC sucks because they allow people who don't own Alfas to join?

I think it's about the people, as well as the cars.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
Our local club (Colorado AROC) does not allow cars other than Alfas on the track at our events, member or not. Period. OK - we had a few exhibition laps from an F40 and a couple of 360 challenge cars at the last event, but that was it.

I am not sure if this is a good thing or not. The events are full, we don't have to worry about the revenue, but I miss a certain diversity from seeing other cars. On the other hand, it can be depressing when the Alfas are always outnumbered at their own events, as it was with Chicago AROC track events.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I agree with you guys both in certain things. If I were running the club, this is what I would do...

Send our early mailers to members, frequent participants, and Alfa owners and give them a deadline. After that deadline, open up registration to anyone. I notice that there are many people who show up to event's like Laguna Seca that never run with AROSC. People who support the club year roud and members should be rewarded with first priority at these events. If it weren't for them, none of the other events would be a such a success.

It's not right that (for example) a WRX or Porsche owner shows up to one event a year (Alfa Club Laguna Seca) because it's $200 less than any other club that runs there. AROSC is the cheapest track time around. I will be at Laguna Seca again the week after the AROSC event and am paying more than double and am getting less track time! Those people who come out that one time a year should get last priority.

And that's MY opinion

·
Registered
241 Posts
Alfas Only

Hmmmmm. Sounds like the tracks must be inexpensive, or you have lots of Alfas. As I mentioned, we really don't turn people away. When we get 100 cars at Willow Springs, we break even. I don't think we could put on an event of this caliber with Alfas only. We typically get 40 or so Alfas. We could never pay the expenses. Where else can you see a whole Alfa only race series?

We have 8 or so events per year. All time trial cars must have harnesses & fire ext. Open cars must have roll bars. I don't think there are enough cars, even in LA.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Right, Anthony!

That's how we do it. Members/regulars got their applications over a week before the one-timers! Plus, there were emails sent out to members/regulars encouraging them to sign up early.

It's only fair to the registration guy to have a chance to process applications before the event. If all of the Alfas wait until the last moment to send in applications, then people without Alfas, who have already made hotel/travel arrangements a month in advance would get the boot? That wouldn't be fair either.

Laguna is the only event where we have to turn people away.

If everyone is so unhappy, we could have Alfa only events that would be VERY VERY expensive. We still lose money at Laguna Seca even with 125 cars, plus 30 intros.

So, does $650 sound like the right Alfa Only price to run Laguna? I, for one, would be out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you serious?

Ever heard the saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it?

Are you going to take over Director of Registration (Merkur), Director of Hotels/Dinner (Mercedes), Director of Intro Group(car not ready), Director of Enduros (Mazda), Race Director (Cote might sell his spider) Director of Tech and Safety (Dunestang), Director of Timing and Scoring (Alex is trying to sell his GTV)Director of Instruction (Lola), Director of Schools, etc......

At least you wouldn't need a Director of non-Alfa classification.

Do you think those people would really volunteer thier time under those circumstances? Nope.

Maybe just start your own club if we are doing so poorly.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,362 Posts
I had no idea you had so many traitors in your midst :)

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
whew, It's getting steamy!

I didn't know this was going to spark up some tension.

To start with...

I don't think the club suck's at all! It's definitly a fantastic club, and I'm glad it's there. My wording was poor in my post above, I did not mean it the way I said it, I'm sorry.

What I meant to say is I get bummed when a Alfa can't be excepted to a event (Laguna last year for example) because they sent in there entry form before the due date but it's already been filled. That's what I think suck's, it is a Alfa club and I know they except anyone, but I think there should be more love for the Alfa's in that category. It'd be better to blow off one Honda for a hard loving Alfa owner. I know the so cal club will probably never fill a event with just Alfa's, and I don't mind the other car's at the event. It just hurt's when that one Alfa can't make it. It really make's a difference, at least to me it does.

(example: If I drove a Honda and wanted to enter the event, but found out that Alfa's have the first spot's to fill, it would not bug me what so ever, it is a Alfa Club and there allowing me to bring my honda? Right ON! I'll send my entry and hope for the best. Which I pretty much know I have a spot because there's only like 30 alfa's, out of a event with 130 spot's.)

In all I think the Alfa's should get a due date for a guaranteed spot, and after that due date your on a first come first serve base. Then again that's my opinion, and the Alfa Board member's most likely don't care what I have to say.

Hope this clear's up a little. Again this is just a opinion of mine, I don't expect it to change anything.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i never said to completey change the whole arosc tack program. i said certain weekends NOT EVERY WEEKEND. it's the alfa club so it'd be nice to have an alfa only weekend maybe once a year.

if i did not care for the alfa club, i would have taken my idea of the Alfa Cup Series (which will have 20-25 cars at Laguna seca alone) to VARA or HSR-West. they would have gladly taken my idea, but the Alfa Cub deserves it more cuz they are the "Alfa Club"

that is the problem with arosc "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". they are still doing things the way they did 20 years ago. it's ok to make changes once in a while, change is good cuz it can open doors and oportunities in the future that will help make things better.

if i wanted to start my own club, i would. i can easily get plenty of cars at the track and have it fully insured too, but i am not the type of person that would take away from other organizations that i am a member of. i run with several different clubs. while all have their pros and cons, i enjoy ever bit of track time i get with them.

that's my opinion take it or leave it.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I love AROSC! My local club does wine tours most of the time....yeap people, drink and drive.... :D

Anywhoo.... I hope I won't get turned away for Laguna this year, I sent in my form last week!!! For May's event...

But I kind of agree with what Anthony says.... I wish there would be an all Alfa time trials once a year or something like that. But, then again Brad, you are correct about not enough participants.

Seems that until there are more Alfa entrants, we will see about 40% Alfas at the AROSC events, fine by me though. I hardly see any Milanos. I wish there would be an all transaxle car event only :eek: :D ;)

I will be at Sears Point on April 30th...and hopefully no double standards (i.e. at the meetings it's always "No Passing in the turns")....but some race cars end up passing in the turns. :mad:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Volunteers

Thanks for your comments. Snaidy. Geez, that's just the problem....the time trial board DOES care. I have been on the competition board for over 10 years. We all work really hard to put on the best possible event. Why do you suppose I take it personally when people are critical of our events? Anyways, we are all volunteers, and we have regular jobs and families to support in addition to the huge time commitment to the club. Terry Watson. our registration director, gets the worst of it. Right now, he has 160 applications for Laguna Seca, and he has the job of turning people away. We do warn everyone in advance to send in Laguna applications early. Now, Terry works extremely hard for us, and puts in probably 40 or 50 hours of his own time per event. He drives a Merkur. Also, nobody on the AROSC board gets paid. Not for instructing at the schools, working the tech line, teaching intro group, doing registration, anything. I live in Sonoma.

We have recently been contacted by another club (a big one in CA) who is asking us to partner events with them since they are struggling with a declining # of participants, and race tracks getting more expensive. This is the tale of woe coming from many clubs these days, in a tough economy. Well, we are at near capacity for each event, and possibly the healthiest club in CA. We had to turn down their request.

I hope that our program contiunues to improve. I think it has, with the Enduro, the Alfa Cup, and the improved schools with 'famous' guest instructors, and the inclusion of Laguna Seca this year. Hell, we didn't even get a date at Laguna, and now that we come up with one....people complain. And we will lose money at Laguna.

Still, I believe that most of the success we have had is due to the people involved in AROSC. It is not ONLY about cars. It's about friends, fun, competition, and comeraderie. If we were to draw a line in the sand by excluding non-Alfa owners, even to one event, we would be rotting the foundation that has taken over 30 years of safe and fun track events to build.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Brad I hear what your saying. I really really do like the club. I understand the involvement you guy's dedicate to this club, and it's great. I don't have to even say how great the club is, just look at how many people show at the event's.

I also understand that the club is not ONLY about the car's. But I'm hard headed and think Alfa's should have the first dibb's after the competition board member's fill in first. I guess I have to visualize that there have been people attending the event's for a while now and don't own a Alfa, which deserve a spot aswell. But like I said it's hard to get in my dome.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I've got one of those old hand-crank drills. Bet that'd get into your dome.

What time are you people planning on getting to the speedway? I might be able to make it. I've already been 'told' that I'd have to take the Accord though. Harump!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts