Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Twin Spark 1974 GTV 2000 is my first Alfa, and its fantastic. Really great to be part of the Alfa tribe. My past is all Porsch (914, 993, 911S). I am restoring the inside of the GTV and many of the screws etc need replacing. For example the SS screws that hold the sill/threshold cover, the two screws holding the instrument cluster, the screws holding the door panels, etc etc. As those that restore Porsch know, every screw has a part number and can be found on-line.

So two questions,

Is there a guide/parts manual etc that indicates the screw type and size? and,
Is there a site that sells most of these? or is it a Bellmetric etc option of where to buy?

Appreciate the input...Thanks

·
Out of the office!
11,270 Posts
Parts for these cars are poorly documented. Sometimes the part manual shows the screw size other times, not. Alfa Romeo published a manual of common parts. I've scanned my copy and made it available from the AlfaBB.

See my post in this thread:

When I reassembled my car, I took the various sheet metal screws to Ace Hardware and found what I needed. If you want to buy online, you'll need to measure each and then buy from an appropriate supplier.

Most of the machine screws are grade 8 or 10. Do not use stainless steel screws on any portion of the suspension, engine, gearbox, differential, etc. Stainless steel screws are brittle and do not behave the same way as a grade 8 or 10 steel screw. That's just my opinion, others may disagree.

You might find one of these to be useful.

·
Richard Jemison
7,097 Posts
I thought this was going to be about a reporter that was writing about a guy that broke out of an insane asylum and sexually attacked the first woman he saw. The edtitor kept telling him to shorten it up.......

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
I thought this was going to be about a reporter that was writing about a guy that broke out of an insane asylum and sexually attacked the first woman he saw. The edtitor kept telling him to shorten it up.......
Well, if the title of the story was "Nuts, bolts and screws" then it would have been about TWO guys who broke out of an insane asylum. But then the correct form of the verbs would have been: "Nuts, bolt and screw".

simonjb:

Welcome to THIS asylum. Yea, I used to own a Porsche 356 and marveled at how easy it was to buy the correct fasteners all kitted up. The world of Alfa restoration is a bit more artisanal - you have to find most fasteners on your own, visiting places like belmetric, McMaster Carr and your local hardware store.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi -
Welcome to the board. I am doing a Spider backdate. Started out as a '79 and is now closer to a '74. I was able to find the stainless silll screws at True Value. I could not find the proper door card screws anywhere. The ones that Ace have are too big and clunky looking. I ended up cleaning up and painting some old ones I had from a donor car that I had. Lowes also might be a source but lately I've noticed that their oddball stock isn't what it used to be.
- Drew

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
Reminds me of the Carroll Smith story. After he had written "Prepare to Win", Engineer to Win" and "Drive to Win" he wrote a book about fasteners and he wanted to name it "Screw to Win" but the publisher vetoed the title.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I'm surprised at Osso's opinion of the parts manual being poorly documented....it is not what I experienced with the manual for my car. I've replated every nut , bolt and washer (except the spring lock washers) with zinc myself and had it not been for the manual identifying the lengths and types.....it would have been a very time consuming exercise to determine the correct lengths and washers types to use......the manual IMHO was priceless and invaluable. BTW...I found that almost all of the bolts heads carried the LOBO manufacturer mark from suspension to engine to accessories. The Catalogo Rapido Normalizzatti is a must......it identifies the finishes used on all the fasteners and is a must have companion to the main parts catalog.

·
Out of the office!
11,270 Posts
I'm surprised at Osso's opinion of the parts manual being poorly documented....it is not what I experienced with the manual for my car. I've replated every nut , bolt and washer (except the spring lock washers) with zinc myself and had it not been for the manual identifying the lengths and types.....it would have been a very time consuming exercise to determine the correct lengths and washers types to use......the manual IMHO was priceless and invaluable. BTW...I found that almost all of the bolts heads carried the LOBO manufacturer mark from suspension to engine to accessories. The Catalogo Rapido Normalizzatti is a must......it identifies the finishes used on all the fasteners and is a must have companion to the main parts catalog.
It is without question a priceless thing to have. Still, I think the parts are poorly documented when you compare the quality of the documentation of Porsche and Mercedes parts (just to name two that stand out).

Years ago when I was looking for a clutch fluid reservoir, I stumbled across one on eBay for a vintage Mercedes. One thing let to another ant I ended up on Mercedes classic car parts website, run by the manufacturer. A phone call ended up with an email and some documentation on the reservoir.

Both companies have excellent documentation on the cars they built. Alfa has less information. It's not a criticism, it's just a fact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts