Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a Vintage Customs video that mentioned that hood, trunk lid and doors of 101 Giulia Spiders were stamped with the last three numerals of the PininFarina code that is found in the trunk of these cars. This was done in an effort to match these parts to a particular body shell.

I did find these matching numerals on the hood and trunk lid, but do not remember seeing them on either of the doors. The Spider is out for body and paint work, so I don't have it here to check. Where would these be stamped into the door frame?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce and the Bertone numbers are stamped on the doors, hood, trunk, "B" pillar stainless steel trim, glove box cover, dash cover, written door cards, quarter door panels, and on top of the dash using a paint pencil. The 750 Spider has very few body numbers compared to the Sprint.

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
I believe Kuni is right. I don't remember any numbers on Giulia spider doors I've had apart. Hood, trunk lid and rear fender gutters, as well a trunk floor by the latch is usual.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, my Giulietta Sprint (60) has the numbers stamped on the forward end of the doors near the hinges. I forget if it was near the upper or lower hinge but check around those areas. Dennie

·
Super Moderator
11,578 Posts
Thanks Dennie. I had a '60 Spider Veloce as my first Alfa race car. As I never repainted, guess I missed those numbers. My '65 Giulia Spider Veloce I've had for 50 years, has been apart, more than once, but not repainted, and I'm pretty sure it has no numbers on the doors, or at least, I've never found any.

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Just grind off some of that shiny red paint Alejandro.....:wink2:

I've been helping a friend with a 4th Series Giulietta Spider, a Giulia shell, built in April '62 as a 1300 Giulietta Normale, has all the Giulia structural features, but with the Giulietta drive train.

Found numbers on the bonnet, boot lid & boot floor (OK, hood, trunk lid & trunk floor for you lads on the top left of the world map), but nothing on the doors - & we really looked hard.

May have been something that ceased to be used later on as Pininfarina parts seem to fit pretty well in comparison to Bertone parts.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bossobay,

Do those numbers match the Pininfarina stamped numbers in the trunk?

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! What a thread!

First of all, I get to hear from a cadre of Alfisti located in SA, Sweden, Italy and here at home!

Second, I get to see a bunch of photos of different cars that I have not seen in person.

Third, I get to ask more questions!

If anyone finds stamped numbers in a 750-101 Spider door, please let me know.

Did all Sprints only have a five-digit code stamped in the trunk?

What was the function of the chrome piece that ran the length of Alejandro's door; to help hold the shape of the outer door skin?

Greig, I think your point on the probable improved build quality of the Paninfarina body panels over the early Bertone ones, is spot on.
Even though everyone says the Sprints are nightmares to restore, I would love to have one, Veloce or not!

If I might be permitted an observation: Not withstanding that there are a lot of knowledgeable Alfisti in the world, there seems to be a 12-15 member BB 54-65 Giulietta-Giulia brain trust that contributes regularly to the vast majority of these threads. Why don't you guys start making some how-to, why-to 10-15 minute well-done tech videos dealing with 750-101 Sprints and Spiders? You have held numerous tech sessions at local, regional, national, even international gatherings. True, a lot of you are genuine experts and we give you the props that are due. However, there may be two or three thousand of us that would love to watch a video time and time again dealing with issues less involved than a total restoration.

You guys could plan out different topics and have different groups of individuals making them all across the ALFABB globe! A video tech session would almost be like being in your garage, or better, having you in ours, while you take us through the step-by-step method of doing something. Man, we could watch it over and over. What a resource library!

Wow. I think I've just high-jacked my first thread and I started it in the first place!

Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ray

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow! What a thread!

What was the function of the chrome piece that ran the length of Alejandro's door; to help hold the shape of the outer door skin?

Ray
Lol Raimondo, that's not part of the door. Just a rod roughly welded there to keep the door structure in place while the skin was formed :laugh2:

BTW, my Blog is plenty of videos, not strictly istructional, but if you have the eye and a little skills you can pull off many insights on how to do things. Just an example:

Vent boxes from scratch

It is a great satisfaction when your car has parts built by yourself :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alejandro,

La vergogna è mio, non mi spiego!

I meant to infer that the chrome rod might have been there to help form the new door skin; not that it was a permanent part of the door.

I have watched several of your videos, but my Italian has deteriorated molto since the days I lived in Roma.

It would be great for you to edit them (voice-over) into English, if possible, for the non-Italian speaking Alfisti to enjoy.

Grazie,

Raimondo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts