Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Number plates (not very technical), UK, mine, and USA?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tetteh 
#1 · (Edited)
To tie together three topics as one, I split this thread from the thread about a thermostat for a UK Twin-Spark 164 because I didn't want to hijack the other thread.

FOR A 164 TS 2.0 H reg 1991.

I've also seen the same things on UK ebay ads.
Yes - good point! :)
Here's a handy explanation. http://www.no1reg.co.uk/number-plate-history/
Up to 1999, the number plate letter changed only once per year, so G would be 1990, H 1991 etc. I think the changeover took place halfway through the year, so a 1991 car could be G or H, and I guess that is why the English specify the year letter to make this clear.

Then in 2001 the numberplate format changed completely. Second-half of 2001 registrations are '51', while '02' means the first half of 2002. So, if something is '54'-reg, it means the second half of 2004.

Secondly, I've just purchased a Personalised Plate here in NZ, last night, which represents a large and extravagant purchase, almost the same price as my 164 itself! Half of the price goes to road safety funding. I considered it a one-off purchase because it can be transferred from car to car. The actual plate shall remain a secret until I have it attached to my 164. I will update this thread with a pic. ;)

In England, personalised plates have to be actual registration numbers (!) while in NZ we have free reign over six letters/numbers. I paid $100 extra to have a European-sized number plate (not as tall and wider than normal, actually the same huge size as a UK plate and not at all like those in Italy!)

Thirdly, what is the situation in the USA - are personalised plates issued on a state-by-state basis, are they transferrable, is it difficult to get the one you want, and are they expensive (i.e. the value of a 164?) I was just interested as I spotted 'ALFA4ME' (didn't I?) in some of the pictures here.

Thanks,
-Alex

See less See more
#2 ·
To answer the third part of your query, here in the state of New Hampshire, "initial" plates are $33 annually. The Moose conservation plate is $30 (picture of moose on backround of plate-partial proceeds go to conservation fund) Therefore, a moose intial plate would be $63 annually. The plates are transferable for a fee (nominal if I recall)

I've always heard that customized or initial plates were expensive outside of USA and Canada. I doubt if I'd spring for one if it were the value of my 164. But, you probably have fantastic, racetrack smooth roads in NZ because of people doing just that!

#3 ·
To answer the third part of your query, here in the state of New Hampshire, "initial" plates are $33 annually. The Moose conservation plate is $30 (picture of moose on backround of plate-partial proceeds go to conservation fund) Therefore, a moose intial plate would be $63 annually. The plates are transferable for a fee (nominal if I recall)
Wow - are you saying you get a choice of available letters/numbers combination for just $33/$63 extra per year? That's very interesting - I had no idea there was a moderate ongoing cost rather than our up-front fee. Of course, people are also always trying to flog 'special' plates at up to $15,000-ish here, I imagine it's the same there if you want "888" etc.

I've always heard that customized or initial plates were expensive outside of USA and Canada. I doubt if I'd spring for one if it were the value of my 164. But, you probably have fantastic, racetrack smooth roads in NZ because of people doing just that!
Ha! :)
What a wonderful idea - sadly, our roads are generally poor by world standards, but hey... I'm happy enough. There's quite a variety of conditions. Someone told me recently that concrete freeways in LA are nowhere near as smooth as our motorways/dual carriageways. But we still have dodgy two-lane roads in country areas. They keep you awake.

Most of our road-safety money would be in TV advertising here, latest eloquent mottos on billboards etc. include "If your mate's pissed, you're screwed", and "If you stop a drink-driver, you're a bloody legend". So now, I'm helping to finance those.

Thanks for the insights!
-Alex

#4 · (Edited)
In Virginia I get ALFA 4ME and ALFA 4US for extra annual extra fee of $10 per car over normal plate fees.

#5 ·
I have "ALFA FEM" on my wife's car for the same US$10/yr fee. I haven't heard of plates being sold here, but I suspect there is a mechanism. It might not be state-sanctioned, but it's probably possible. Even if not state sanctioned, it might be possible to coordinate release of your plate with the next guy reserving it.

Michael

#6 · (Edited)
you guys are lucky you dont live in New South Wales, Australia...take a breath....I wanted to have the registration plate 105-GTV and the cost was a $30 ordering fee and $500 EVERY YEAR. http://ols2.rta.nsw.gov.au/myPlates...8dcfa0a120b6f.e38Lc34Tb38Pci0Lc350glbGmkTylN4

Talk about highway robbery, geeesh.

Metallic gold on black plates are not available for motorcycles, trailers, public vehicles, tow trucks or heavy vehicles which have a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of more than 4.5 tonnes.

Vehicle type: Car/Light Truck
Content: 105GTV
Content type: Personalised Plus
Style: Metallic Gold on Black
Cost: $30.00 ordering fee plus annual fee of $500.00
N.B. Annual fees may also apply. Refer to price list in menu or contact 131 758 for further information.

Once you are happy with your content and style click on one of the order buttons below. You can choose between ordering it for yourself and ordering it as a gift for someone.

#7 ·
One thing that the videotape industry found worldwide is that you can sell $200 tapes to a very few people. You can sell $100 tapes to maybe a few times as many people, but not all that many more. Then they found that you can sell $10 tapes to darned near anyone. Make a $3 margin on a million tapes and you get much more money at the bottom line than if you sell $200 tapes to a thousand people, or even ten thousand. And all those people who bought $200 tapes won't be interested in having a 100 tape library like the folks who bought $10 tapes might.

You see the "vanity plates" everywhere in this state. At $10/yr extra fee, it's a _serious_ money maker. Your authorities should look at the economics of this. I personally would never buy a $500 plate. But I have two vanity plates (wife and daughter), and in the few years we've had them I have spent most of $100, and climbing. Sell to 0.2% of the driving public once, or to 5% every year? You make the numbers.

#11 ·
Your authorities should look at the economics of this. I personally would never buy a $500 plate. But I have two vanity plates (wife and daughter), and in the few years we've had them I have spent most of $100, and climbing. Sell to 0.2% of the driving public once, or to 5% every year? You make the numbers.
I agree with your comments 100%. unfortunately, the vanity plates used to be reasonably priced but, in an ill conceived money grab, the powers that be decided to dramatically increase the prices. if that wasnt bad enough they then made the charge an annual fee.
As a guide, the cost of the plates are about the same as the cost of registration. So people with the plates are effectively doubling their registration costs. Id rather splash out a nice set of tyres (tires?) on quality alloy rims every few years, but each to his own.

#12 · (Edited)
As a guide, the cost of the plates are about the same as the cost of registration. So people with the plates are effectively doubling their registration costs. Id rather splash out a nice set of tyres (tires?) on quality alloy rims every few years, but each to his own.
I'm pleased that my plates are just an up-front cost, and able to be transferred to any car that I ever own - I'm feeling better about the purchase now, thanks :D

The plate is Alfa-specific, but that's OK because I expect to always own an Alfa Romeo in the future!

The up-front cost is about five year's registration, but from then on, registration costs will be the same as usual.

A particularly fantabulous plate that I saw was on a bright-red Holden, being driven noisily, and it was 'HSV V8'. What made it worse was that the owner had spent an extra $100 to get the message underneath it, that read 'HSV GTS 225KW V8'! Maybe a more appropriate message would have been "MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS!"

-Alex

#8 ·
A few years back Arizona made it that so that all plates stayed with the car for life so if you bought a used car that had "ILUVMEN" it was your plate. That is unless you wanted to pay for another personalized plate.

#9 ·
In California, plates go with the car, don't they? Here in Virginia, they do not transfer to the new owner at all - they remain with the seller and he can transfer them to any of his other vehicles. I don't know what happens with a personalized plate that has its vehicle sold. If you cancel the registration, you get a refund of part of the fee, but if you don't cancel it maybe you can keep the plate in your name with a bit more breathing room before it goes back on the block. If your special plate is not attached to a car, I think it's effectively freed up for someone else to request.

#10 ·
You can keep personalized in California and transfer to another vehicle or let them go to the new owner. New owner would have to pay the extra yearly fee though.

Speaking of personalized plates should we start a thread on the most unimiginative plates we have ever seen. I'll start here just for grins. While living in AZ there was a white 03 or 04 Camry V6 SE edition. It's states all three of these things on the trunk as most of us know. OK so what do you think this moron has on his plates? Yes, you guessed it "SE V6" I so wanted to follow him and let him know his gene pool should stop with him!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.