Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Number plates (not very technical), UK, mine, and USA?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tetteh 
you guys are lucky you dont live in New South Wales, Australia...take a breath....I wanted to have the registration plate 105-GTV and the cost was a $30 ordering fee and $500 EVERY YEAR. http://ols2.rta.nsw.gov.au/myPlates...8dcfa0a120b6f.e38Lc34Tb38Pci0Lc350glbGmkTylN4

Talk about highway robbery, geeesh.

Metallic gold on black plates are not available for motorcycles, trailers, public vehicles, tow trucks or heavy vehicles which have a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of more than 4.5 tonnes.

Vehicle type: Car/Light Truck
Content: 105GTV
Content type: Personalised Plus
Style: Metallic Gold on Black
Cost: $30.00 ordering fee plus annual fee of $500.00
N.B. Annual fees may also apply. Refer to price list in menu or contact 131 758 for further information.

Once you are happy with your content and style click on one of the order buttons below. You can choose between ordering it for yourself and ordering it as a gift for someone.

Your authorities should look at the economics of this. I personally would never buy a $500 plate. But I have two vanity plates (wife and daughter), and in the few years we've had them I have spent most of $100, and climbing. Sell to 0.2% of the driving public once, or to 5% every year? You make the numbers.
I agree with your comments 100%. unfortunately, the vanity plates used to be reasonably priced but, in an ill conceived money grab, the powers that be decided to dramatically increase the prices. if that wasnt bad enough they then made the charge an annual fee.
As a guide, the cost of the plates are about the same as the cost of registration. So people with the plates are effectively doubling their registration costs. Id rather splash out a nice set of tyres (tires?) on quality alloy rims every few years, but each to his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.