Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Number plates (not very technical), UK, mine, and USA?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Tetteh 
I have "ALFA FEM" on my wife's car for the same US$10/yr fee. I haven't heard of plates being sold here, but I suspect there is a mechanism. It might not be state-sanctioned, but it's probably possible. Even if not state sanctioned, it might be possible to coordinate release of your plate with the next guy reserving it.

Michael

One thing that the videotape industry found worldwide is that you can sell $200 tapes to a very few people. You can sell $100 tapes to maybe a few times as many people, but not all that many more. Then they found that you can sell $10 tapes to darned near anyone. Make a $3 margin on a million tapes and you get much more money at the bottom line than if you sell $200 tapes to a thousand people, or even ten thousand. And all those people who bought $200 tapes won't be interested in having a 100 tape library like the folks who bought $10 tapes might.

You see the "vanity plates" everywhere in this state. At $10/yr extra fee, it's a _serious_ money maker. Your authorities should look at the economics of this. I personally would never buy a $500 plate. But I have two vanity plates (wife and daughter), and in the few years we've had them I have spent most of $100, and climbing. Sell to 0.2% of the driving public once, or to 5% every year? You make the numbers.

In California, plates go with the car, don't they? Here in Virginia, they do not transfer to the new owner at all - they remain with the seller and he can transfer them to any of his other vehicles. I don't know what happens with a personalized plate that has its vehicle sold. If you cancel the registration, you get a refund of part of the fee, but if you don't cancel it maybe you can keep the plate in your name with a bit more breathing room before it goes back on the block. If your special plate is not attached to a car, I think it's effectively freed up for someone else to request.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.