Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'64 Spider Normale (Bought new), now "abnormale"; '91 Spider Veloce
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gong to order some new lamps, but unsure of how many I need to order. Any experience with LED replacements, and if so, are they dimmable? Source for such LED lamps? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
my euro monopod (S4) has 21 of those pesky lights...originally 1.2W

monopod lights.jpg

scarab changed to LED in this thread: He doesn't mention dimming, but I doubt LEDs will...anyway they look bright enough.
You will have to trial fit as they will only work one way round, and don't fit (apparently) quite as tight as the original sockets, so you need to bend the tabs slightly (LED s have their own socket)
LED lights for spider dashboard gages

What Shakey did was fit brighter bulbs.....(you DO have to worry about heat in the Monopod, as this is the one design fault and the reason out speedos go awol....heat)
But he trial fitted these and says all was ok:
Brighter Bulbs for Instrument Lights

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
I'm interested in changing mine as well.

After reading through the threads, it leads to a $6.99 USD bulb.

Too rich for me considering 21 bulbs.

Please let us know how you make out.

Vin

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my euro monopod (S4) has 21 of those pesky lights...originally 1.2W

View attachment 1611397

scarab changed to LED in this thread: He doesn't mention dimming, but I doubt LEDs will...anyway they look bright enough.
You will have to trial fit as they will only work one way round, and don't fit (apparently) quite as tight as the original sockets, so you need to bend the tabs slightly (LED s have their own socket)
LED lights for spider dashboard gages

What Shakey did was fit brighter bulbs.....(you DO have to worry about heat in the Monopod, as this is the one design fault and the reason out speedos go awol....heat)
But he trial fitted these and says all was ok:
Brighter Bulbs for Instrument Lights
Hi Dom: Do the 21 lights include "warning" lamps (i.e., turn signals, High Beams, etc.)? And, are they also 1.2W (originally)?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I think they are the same wattage.
Yes, the 21 includes the warning lights...so, in fact (Vin...;)), as the warning lights are quite bright, one could I suppose just change the bulbs that light up the gauges, so just the 7 illumination bulbs.
nb: do make sure the rheostat is on full before you think you need to change the bulbs....wiggle it a bit, sometimes it is stuck on dull.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
I think you're wasting your time and money putting LEDs in the monopod dash. The stock 1.2W incandescent bulbs work well for the warning lights and the stock illumination is pretty good. I've upgraded to LEDs in the two other Alfas but have felt no need to do so in the S4.

If you want it a little brighter, you can bypass the rheostat (it typically drops like 0.5V even when turned all the way up.) Just pull the connector at the rheostat and jumper the two wires that aren't black: this sends full voltage to the lights.

If you really want LEDs be sure to match the LED color to the color of the filter (e.g., if it's a red warning light be sure to use a red LED.) White LEDs behind colored filters don't work well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're wasting your time and money putting LEDs in the monopod dash. The stock 1.2W incandescent bulbs work well for the warning lights and the stock illumination is pretty good. I've upgraded to LEDs in the two other Alfas but have felt no need to do so in the S4.

If you want it a little brighter, you can bypass the rheostat (it typically drops like 0.5V even when turned all the way up.) Just pull the connector at the rheostat and jumper the two wires that aren't black: this sends full voltage to the lights.

If you really want LEDs be sure to match the LED color to the color of the filter (e.g., if it's a red warning light be sure to use a red LED.) White LEDs behind colored filters don't work well.
Gubi & Dom: thanks for this info. I'll follow-up on your suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts