Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 GTV has four keys.

One for the ignition, one for the doors, one for the boot lid lock and another for the fuel tank.

I have never thought about this not being original. However I just came across an original set of handles and locks for all the items mentioned above having one single key. I think this should be more original than the complex situation with my car.

Any clues??

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
2 keys came with the car:
1 for ignition, 1 for all the other locks such as glovebox,trunk and doors.
(gas cap may have been seperate unto itself though. I dunno for sure, though door lever release would use the same key as the doors/etc)

If all was right with the world, you got 2 copies of each key.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darren,

I've just had a close look. It's been ages since I use the car and I know I have a bunch with four keys. It appears that one is for the ignition only, another for the doors + glovebox + bootlid release catch, another for the gas cap and another for a steering lock (not part of the car).

That should be correct I suppose, the gas cap must have a separate one then :confused:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Alfas back then didn't come from the factory with locking gas caps.
Nobody stole (ie.) siphoned gas from someone else's car back then.

The leaded fuel just didn't have the same bouquet and flavour as the new, unleaded fuels. Although I've heard that the 92 octane and higher leaded gas did have the edge over the more pedestrian lower octane petrol.

One bad side effect though was that it really opened up the sluice gates at both ends in the morning if one over indulged in a bit of after midnight refueling.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Nobody stole (ie.) siphoned gas from someone else's car back then.
Well, they did, but you could get a cone shaped helical spring that went into the neck of the filler tube that prevented a hose from getting down in there.

The advent of the 'unleaded only' fill neck door stopped the use of the spring (too big to get through the little hole) and the more recent use of battery powered drills to punch holes in the tank has eliminated even the need for the hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts