Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went for the first time for a few years and took a few snaps. I believe the plum colours 2000GTV won. Happy to be corrected :).

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More 5 ... and a crazy 4WD we saw on the way home. One can only assume the driver simply doesn't have one :eek::rolleyes::D

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
He needs the dual wheels because he normally has to tow his own fuel tanker and the two sets of rear lights are there in case other drivers don't notice him!

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmmm, not much interest eh?

It appears to me after going to this event occassionally over the last 8 years that Alfa Romeo interest is dwindling, while FIAT interest is growing.

I was amazed that there was only 1 series 2 1750 GTV (the silver car), 1 75 ...

It's a great event (my kids were able to play, ride their bikes, eat ice cream, enjoy a picnic, and look at a few cars like Dad's ... and even the dog got a walk), thus come on Sydneysiders lets make next years one double the size ... maybe we need a few "restoration progress" stands ... although heck that would be hard to organise (transport shells, etc.), but do we have any Sydney restoration firms that would like to display their talents?

Pete

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The day was alright, definitely numbers down a bit from last year in terms of Alfas, there were almost more Fiats!

I had the Alfetta on the grass but left just before noon, next time ill definitely come later in the day, yes the coffee was good too.

I spent a fair bit of time hanging around Tony Mckone and crew doing the concours judging on the 116 Giulietta and the series 1 1750. Its amazing how much knowledge they have, i learned a lot. The judging was somewhat lenient in some areas,. They picked out both cars had left hand drive headlights fitted but did not mark them down as they RHD ones are NLA etc.

I thought there were higher quality cars parked elsewhere but I think the concours can only be won once, this is to let other people have a fair go.

Interestingly the guy with the concours 116 Giulietta had an early model 116 Alfetta there last year in the same colour that he still owns, what a nut bag, I can totally relate though :p

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I see a Lancia 2000 coupe!!!!!! I would have attached myself to that car and refused to move.

Good show, much more variation that the local show.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great photos, PSk. Quick comment on the models there - it seems to ebb and flow, for instance this is the first year for a long time where there have been enough 900 series cars to make a decent class, and the Previous Winners' class was taken out by one! Pity there were no 33s, but I guess their time will come. Seems there's increasing interest in the boxers now that there's nearly no decent ones left!

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought there were higher quality cars parked elsewhere but I think the concours can only be won once, this is to let other people have a fair go.
Interesting, as the plum 2000 GTV (I assume the winner, and has won before according to the blurb on it, I think) was to me by far the best car, especially underneath (actually everywhere).

The Series 1 1750 was good but had minor oil leaks and was just not quite as well detailed ... plus an obvious (but well done) repair to the right front inner guard area.

The only thing I thought was strange was that both cars had incorrect rear number plate mounts. Is this an Australian thing?, because the white 1300GTJ has it too.
Pete

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was a judge about 10 years ago, and I seem to remember that (a guy named Richard Gentle owned the car at the time) the plum GTV won. I could only pick a few things wrong with it. It had non-original hose clips (this was when you could still buy them new), a very minor oil leak and it was missing the hot air stove plate that was on the left side of the engine (although they were never connected up on Australian cars. I also seem to remember that you could still buy fan belts with "Alfa Romeo" written on them, so I advised him to get a couple. At the time, I think he was working for Foley's as a parts dude. I remember he was very grateful for any tip on making the car perfect.

Not sure about the number plates. I think the cars came off the boat with the big square ones that do not didn't suit the plates here.... so most got binned! I have seen a few around though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts