Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owned an alfa before, but never a garage, so other than tuning and electricals, I'm a novice. I need help. I think I want to change out my transmission - it grinds and leaks- for a good used one. I have a '69. I have seen very reasonable prices on both an old gearbox and an new rebuilt one on e-bay. SHould I go for the newer box or will the older one fit easier?

Perhaps far more important. can anyone help guide me doing this myself? I know Pat Braden said If you've never done it don't, more or less, but then I never will learn will I? I'm not a mechanic, but I have another car to get to work in if I need time to get this one back together. Is it far too much of a simplification to just take all the bolts out on both ends until the transmission comes out? Is there a step by step manual that I can get (preferrably with pics because a lot of the terms are gibberish to me)?

I would be much happier doing this myself than sending it out - I'd be glad to take some guidance. O'h yeah, having tried to understand the chapter on transmissions, I'm quite sure that I can't rebuiild mine at my level of skill! Maybe if I have the old tranny out for a while to tinker with...

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Taking the gearbox out, and putting it in for that matter, is possibly one of the most difficult things you can do with a car. However, I have taken it out by myself, without anybody helping me, so it is definately doable. But get some friends around - its much easier than being alone!

Couple of things ive found works easiest:

- dont undo the 'dougnut' adaptor underneath the car - its quite difficult and you might loose your temper in the process ;)

- jack the front of the engine up slightly when all the other bolts and things have been removed and you are busy sliding the gearbox out. This helps with clearance in the transmission tunnel. Must be right at the front though, else you will just jack the body up.

hope this helps. I am by no means a profesional, but ive done the gearbox out/in thing a couple of times...

·
Richard Jemison
7,190 Posts
R&R gearbox

If you are really good, you do not need to disasemble the console.
You can do all of the disasembly below the car. Much,much easier!
For consulting fees call BR549!:p

·
Premium Member
21,380 Posts
I wouldn't presume that a used transmission you might find would be any better than what you have, especially as to synchro condition. If you can't test-drive to see how it is, assume it's no better. The synchros wear out similarly in all year Alfa transes.

A 69 Spider doesn't have a console, does it? That makes the job easier. I had the trans out of my Berlina in 3.5 hours most recently. It's not that hard.

Andrew

·
Registered
268 Posts
in/out can be done in about 5 hours by an experienced mechanic. Indeed tilt the engine back a bit, and try to do everything underneath the car. Do not forget to undo the battery cables. (starter motor!)
If I were you, I'd undo the propshaft at the middle and rear, and undo the tranny with the propshaft on. Do not dissasemble propshaft, unless you mark positions!
Get a rstored tranny from a reputable source. It will really be a joy. Also replace clutch complete!
G'luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts