Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

apologies for a basic novice question.

Where is it safe to jack a spider with a trolley jack and put chassis stands - the diff is alloy - will this support the car. (Usually jack the rear of live axle cars on the diff - but they tend not to be alloy). I assume the stands can go under the axle tubes.

What about the front - The front cross member looks ok for jacking - but what about the stands?

Car is a 1969 spider.

thanks in advance

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hello Jonathan, welcome to AlfaBB.com! No apologies needed.

I use a rubber attachment with my floor jack. I then jack up my GTV by the rear differential and the front cross member. I use the jack points (located under the rocker panels) to rest the car on jack stands.

If your jack points are rusted out I suppose you could use the axle and front cross member/lower A arms instead. If you can not locate a rubber jack attachment then I'd think that a wood block would suffice.

This rubber jack attachment can be found at www.HarborFreight.com for $9.99.

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hi folks... I have an '84 SPider... sigh... real novice question for me... tonight I bought a set of Jack Stands... I use the normal slot jack... jack it up... but nothing underneath really looks great to place the jack stands under (anyone got a photo?)... now, to show how really novice I am... I don't know what a Cross Member or an A-Arm is??? Under my car I see what looks to me like a bunch of "I" beam "pieces" (made me think of a solid leaf spring)... not sure if they will hold it up either? Again, if anyone has a photo of where the jack stands can go... man, I'd greatly appreciate it and someday will learn what the cross member is and an "A-Arm" etc... for now... I just feel plain dumb. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey WIP, don't feel bad...we all started where you are! The front crossmember usually runs underneath the engine, is perpendicular to the rocker panels, and cradles the engine. The lower a-arms are the suspension parts that link the wheels to the shock/strut lower attachment points. This is a greatly simplified explanation, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
503 Posts

(click for larger picture)

yellow - primary lift points

blue - The front cross-member and the rear control arm can be used when additional ground clearance is required. They should NOT be used to support the weight of the car.

red - The areas should be avoided when lifting, particularly the longitudinal that houses the fuel supply and return lines.

credit to whoever made the pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts