Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since I am replacing the flex joints on the drive shaft, I was looking at the exhaust closely. Asking this question makes me feel like a real newbie.

The PO put on headers into 2 two inch pipes, then into a flat aluminum/stainless device. Is this the catalytic converter? The temperature probe seems to be dangling so I am not sure if he removed the converter.

With needing an inspection after I get the flex joints fixed I will need to have one.

Or, if is stock should I replace it with an after market one to get a bit more out of the engine.

The first picture is the car on stands in my shop. You can just see the corner of one of the 4 GMC motorhomes I have in the shop right now so the Alfa gets the small back area. (Ignore the dates as my daughter was playing with the camera and changed the date.)

Marcus

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
was my understanding that this rusty NON stainless device is your "center" muffler and NOT the cats...the cats should be between this and the down pipes....or atleast in every pic ive seen thats the case

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. :) :eek:

There is a bung on the passenger side header, there is a plug in it now. The PO may have put the O2 sensor someplace I have not found yet. The car was running nicely, but maybe a bit rich at times when I was driving it to sort out the problems. So maybe it was not seeing a good O2 signal, but I should think that it would run badly or not at all if that was true.

I will have to hunt it down to see if it's hidden somewhere else. If not I will add it in.

Looks like I will have to get an after market cat now from EBay. Oh the joys of buying some one else's problems. First an NOS system,wipers that are DOA, then no catalytic converter, maybe no O2 sensor and a set of flex joints that are self destructing. Just hope when I dig into the body I do not find a hidden mine of Bondo.

Here is another picture of the culprit looking back into my shop. You can see the back ends of two 26' GMC motor homes.

Marcus

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
The car can run okay without the o2 sensor in place - but if you have to pass a smog test there is no way it will pass without a working o2 sensor in it.

GV

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
depending on your location it may very well pass without the cats....

what year is your GTV6 is it posible that the plugged hole in the exhaust is for the overheating exhaust probe?(not sure the technical term for this thing) and not the o2

N02? on a gtv6...intresting...still got the setup?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The NOS system, as well as many other things, the PO relied on duct tape, and a sense of quality that was truly lacking. :eek:

The NOS tank (10 lb tank) was in the trunk buried in old styrofoam, clothes and pink foam in the spare tire well. He ran the pressureized hose up to the plenum and had one jet at the front and another for additional fuel at the back. Sort of drilled/tapped into the plenum. Sealed with - what else- but duct tape. Since we used to call it "racer's tape" he must have figured the tape would make it run faster still.

The "Juice" button was on the shifter and it was a T handle. A purge button was on the center console. He had an MSD ignition system installed at one time and also a ping detector hidden under the dash. Wiring was a total nightmare. Like something you would do after 4 or 5 six packs. Or maybe two or three J's.

I mock the T handle shift knob, but I kind of like it and may find a use for the button on it. I have an Alfa nob so if I go someplace fancy, like an Alfa owners show, I will change it. :D

I have ordered a Magna Cat converter with 2 two inch inlets and 2 two inch out to splice into the system. In NY they will look for the Cat, but no testing on older than OBDII systems right now.

Now the question is what O2 sensor should I get? :cool:

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
82 it should be a simple single wire unit

sounds like the No2 was erm not thought out..wonder how well it worked tho

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for the replies. :) :eek:

Looks like I will have to get an after market cat now from EBay. Oh the joys of buying some one else's problems. First an NOS system,wipers that are DOA, then no catalytic converter, maybe no O2 sensor and a set of flex joints that are self destructing. Just hope when I dig into the body I do not find a hidden mine of Bondo.

Here is another picture of the culprit looking back into my shop. You can see the back ends of two 26' GMC motor homes.

Marcus
Good luck sorting it out, the car looks pretty clean in general, so that is a plus. while you are doing an exhaust system I would look into wrapping the back where it is close to the brakes and dedion so your rear calipers don't heat up so much. BTW I have a wiper assy for sale :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts