Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, next problem -

Parked the car after running around town. Came back later - car not cranking.
Linked out the park neutral switch - no change.

Looking for the "starter inhibitor relay 110 "- car disc shows that it is located around the dash area (I noticed there are a bunch behind the speedo/instrument panel) - I don't think its one of those - athough relay 162 is involved with the start circuit and sends a signal to the motronic unit pin 28- I am not getting the voltage to this point - I tried fooling the motronic by jumping pin 28 to postive - still no crank, not sure where this relay is? There are five relays located to the right of the steering wheel, and one grey tall odd ball looking. I can't figure out which relay is which, its hard to see the wiring, I'm looking for a 2.5 blk which according to the car disc connects to the starter.

I checked the fuse F22 (ok) - not yet found the ignition switch diagram either

Any help really appreciated..

John

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
If original Bosch relay for starter it should have red stripe on it like motronic relay for engine computer. Look at relays with flashlight along left side of center console area to left of radio and see if one has red stripe. Should be front one as shown in picture If not try with car in park to turn key to start and see if you can feel one of them click. If so pull relay and jump relay sockets 30 to 87 and see if starter will crank with key off for safety. even if it won't click pull relay and try to jumper to see if starter works.

You can have many things causing problem such as ignition switch, gear shift lever switch, relay, alarm control box, starter or wiring.

Report what you find during your troubleshooting.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks Steve for the Jpg/pic - why did the inhibitor relay have to be the back one !!! - I broke into the wiring harness to get at the wire that heads to the starter just at the firewall - I can now "jump" start the car for now till I isolate the real problem..

PS - Jumped out the alarm circuit/module last year as that was acting up....

Thanks, John..

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
Hey, thanks Steve for the Jpg/pic - why did the inhibitor relay have to be the back one !!! - I broke into the wiring harness to get at the wire that heads to the starter just at the firewall - I can now "jump" start the car for now till I isolate the real problem..

Thanks, John..
You might want to remove right side carpet from console and find starter inhibitor wiring purple-black wiring that goes to alarm system and just jump wires there coming from front of car and see if relay will work. If relay is good and rest of wiring OK it should click. Relay has a diode in it that can go bad.

Check purple-black or purple connector wires from front of car for power with key in start one of the wires comes from ignition switch to energize relay Think it maybe all purple one.

Also if you jumped into pin 1 black wire in G151 round connector behind false fire wall to start car that pin 1 connector can go bad so no power gets from relay to starter. You can check for power there too in start position but relay has to work for power to be at pin 1 black wire.

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts

Thanks, John..
You might want to remove right side carpet from console and find starter inhibitor wiring purple-black wiring that goes to alarm system and just jump wires there coming from front of car and see if relay will work. If relay is good and rest of wiring OK it should click. Relay has a diode in it that can go bad.

You can always troubleshoot starter relay by using motronic red stripe relay for ECU for testing. If you swap I10 and S12b relays and engine will now crank and now engine will not fire off and start you know starter relay diode went bad.

Check purple-black or purple connector wires from front of car for power with key in start one of the wires comes from ignition switch to energize relay Think it maybe all purple one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts