Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spent the past couple hours looking over every thread on gasket sealants I could find. It's a topic where there isn't just one answer. But I'd like to get feedback on my gasket/sealant approach below. Any item stick out as a "no no"? Confirmation or critiques welcomed.
  • Rear engine cover (half-moon plate): just the paper gasket
  • Water pump gasket: paper + aviation sealant (permatex 80017)
  • Timing cover: paper + spray gasket sealant (permatex 80065)
  • Upper & lower sump: no gasket, just anaerobic sealant (permatex 51813)
  • Head gasket: Reinz, viton square cut o-rings, ultra-grey at the rear water passages
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I just finished a full motor rebuild. Paper gaskets only for the first 4, yes on the head gasket approach.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
I've a shelf with about 20 sealants in my shop. From experience the ones used most are Permetex ultra grey or ultra black. I use ultra grey on the front chain cover area on the head gasket as well as in back, agreeing with goats above on the rest. If a high quality upper sump gasket is used, the off white or greenish one, it is re-useable, maybe, if your lucky. I only use sealant on these to the upper sump, not the block, so I can easily get the sump off without ruining the gasket. I avoid gluing lower sumps to uppers with sealant only as it's not easy to unstick them. The WORST is a 13 or 1600 Veloce sump bottom with no gasket, sealed to the upper with Permetex ultra grey. There are 22 closely placed studs on that one, and surface tension of the sealant, by itself, makes removal without damage pretty time consuming! Don't do that if you anticipate it ever needing disassembly.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah - paper only with no sealant. I am glad to hear that. Permatex actually calls out use of sealants other than Indian head type or spray sealer I note above on paper gaskets as incorrect by their standard. And that paper on its own is generally fine. But obviously they aren’t speaking about Alfas in particular. So good to hear confirmation of that approach on Alfas as well.

Yeah there are many ways to do this with success...with many sealants doing the job well, too. I’ll double check what paper gaskets I have (all green if mem serves) and go from there. I prefer to able to take things apart down the road if needed and reassemble without hours of surface prep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts