Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally dont complain about vendors but this vendor really struck a nerve with me this morning as I called to inquire about my order on a spica pump cover that I placed on Friday. As I live in Northern California I thought that the part would have arrived by now so I wanted to confirm if the part was shipped out. I then come to find out that he did not have and that it would be a few more days to see if he acutally has it and to be quite honest had an attitute about it. (Mainly because he mentioned it was a $20.00 part). If it was $ 200, he would have sang a different tune. It just would have been nice to have received a phone call to indicate that he actually did not have one but he would look for it in the meantime. I had to call and get this information. Am I asking too much?! Anyhow, I got irritated by this and will not be calling him anytime soon for anything realting to my GTV that I'm putting together. Well, if he claims to be the only source for Alfa Parts for the western region then good luck Alfa Community...

Just had to vent...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Back up

I understand your frustration, but ....Larry is a good guy and I will stand up for him. Please take into consideration that your not dealing with a corporation, IAP, or any sophisticated inventory system. Its a father/son enterprise and they share alot of knowledge and facilitate Alfa commerce. Some idiosyncracies might be expected. :) I hope your experience is better next time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that and that is my point exactly, the level of customer service coming from a father/son shop would be in my opinion warmer or friendlier then those bigger vendors that you mentioned.... Maybe an off day...

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,768 Posts
Probably an off day. I've watched Larry Jr. pour through box after box of parts looking for something for a very particular customer.

At the end of the day they don't stay in business selling $20 parts, they survive by selling the big stuff. They truly are an amazing resource and they're great guys, they've just been dealing with us cheap Alfa owners (talking bout me and my friends, not you) for years.

Also, they don't make enough to afford a nice computerized inventory system, so it really does come down to them looking for parts by hand.

Go visit them in person next time they have a "yard sale", it's an amazing place for scroungers like me.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Aquino(FR) I think you need to lighten up a little here. Larry is one of the good guys in this industry, and someone you'll want to keep as a resource. I have always found him to be very helpful, and he often goes way beyond to help out a customer. Also, please remember, he's an Alfa breaker, so it's not like he has all the parts inventoried and sitting on the shelf to be shipped. Wasn't Friday, good Friday?; a lot of businesses weren't even open.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,768 Posts
Now Larry Sr, that's another story! LOL! He's as big a curmudgeon as they come, but much like my dad, he's a lovable curmudgeon.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You wanna have fun with Larry Sr, call and ask about parts for a series whatever, then hold the phone away as he lets you know what he thinks of the 'series' classification :D

They're good people in my book and I'll back 'em with the rest of the folks :thumbsup:
(besides, that ubercool bellhousing conversion casting to get a V6 engine mated to a 4 cylinder transmission that allows much easier drop~in of a 6 where one never came from before is coming out of there)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've had lots of dealings with Larry Jr., and found him to be very helpful. I am suspecting there may be something going on in their lives that may be affecting response time. But, good folks, and always follow through on a commitment.
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with Tifosi, Senior can be quite colorful sometimes in talking to us weird Alfa people. I have known both since they operated out of their garage in Santa Clara. They will go digging and climbing for that one $2 widget that we "just gotta have" for our toy.
Like most have said, they are not really a parts house, and sometimes it takes a little time to get something as Tracy is not exactly next door to the house.
Most of the Bay Area Alfa people have a few "Sr" and "Jr" stories. :)
And the chili cook-off swap meet is a great time.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I agree... Both Larry Sr and Larry Jr are great guys once you get to know them.

If you're in need of a small $20 SPICA part, I know a source closer to Santa Rosa. PM me.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
x2 on that, he's sent me some really small stuff no one in their right mind would bother to even walk out the door to get much less stuff in a box and ship. He's even sent me some free stuff. If you want to really have a fun time talk some politics with him, now that is fun:)

btw, if you are talking about the belt cover some people who know much more than I do about spica recommend to leave the cover off so you might not even need it.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
We used to go camping on Lewis&Clark lake when I was a kid. We were at Offutt AFB and it amazed me that the lake was so big you couldn't see the other side. We'd have about 4 familes with boats and go all day up the lake and find an island and camp and ski all week. Ah those were the days!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have its all good... just an off day is all...
The boys at ARP do a lot of good for the ALFA community, always a big help.

We all have an off day, and so your rant is forgiven :D

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,283 Posts
Man, I love talking to Larry Sr. He's so awesomely curmudgeon-y. Plus he's shipped me a lot of fiddle-farty little parts over the years that nobody else has.

Incidentally, I think the next APE swapmeet is scheduled for Saturday May 7th.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,430 Posts
The Alfa world used to be full of real characters, now it's a little more organized and sane, but maybe not as entertaining to be around.

Who doesn't have a story about getting an earful from Tom Zat, Larry Sr., Al Consentino, etc. ?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spoke to Larry as he called me back this morning and will get the cover sent out today... I told him that I appreciated the call and its all good...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts