Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. I finally replaced my '82 Spider clutch master cylinder, and bled the line at the slave. But I'm not getting as much slave movement as I did before the swap. The travel is about 8mm, instead of the 13mm travel required. The clutch just barely disengages when press hard down to the floor. With the old MC, the disengagement was better, but still not as much as it should be. So I'm guessing the pressure plate is worn a bit. But I should get at least the same travel as before the swap, right? I made sure I had 134mm between the MC body flange and the push rod fork hole, per the manual. Is there another adjustment at the master cylinder push rod I should do? Was the bleeding not fully completed, maybe? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Administrator
16,989 Posts
If you 'pump' the clutch pedal do you get more motion? If so it is likely there is still trapped air.

First make sure the bleed screw is upper most. The slave cylinder can rotate in its mount on the bell housing. If the bleeder is not at "12 O'clock" you won't get all the air out.

It is often difficult to the bleed a clutch hydraulic system. You're trying to push air down (the opposite of what it wants to do) and there is no check valve in the system.

What I do is reverse bleed. Make sure there is room in the master cylinder's reservoir so it doesn't overflow. Then use a 60 ml syringe and a short length of plastic tubing connected to the bleed screw. Crack open the bleeder and push the fluid up to the master. If needed, finish with a 'pedal bleed'.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Sometimes a bit of air gets trapped in the slave cylinder, so it's helpful to try and force it out by pushing the slave's push rod all the way back into the cylinder while the bleeder screw is open.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Try burping the hydraulic fitting at the MC. Have someone apply steady pressure to the pedal and crack the connection until hydraulic fluid comes out, then tighten it before releasing the pedal ( a RJ tip, I am just the messenger).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, I do get more motion when I pump the pedal...especially the first pump after a long rest. I'll try clearing any air out of the slave, like Norseman50 suggested, and then I'll try the reverse bleed with the syringe, as Eric suggested. That idea seems to get a lot of positive results on the blog. Thanks guys. Nice to see other Alfistas in the Carolinas, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts