Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,582 Posts
OK...I'll work on getting it out. I guess the used "donor" booster came off a different model alfa?
I doubt a different model Alfa would have the vacuum hose coming from the opposite side. More likely some knucklehead just installed the fitting in the wrong orientation.

Vicks had the ATEs for about 150ish last I checked...but if that used one in the box is any good will be going that route first.
There was a BB discussion some time ago about the plunger length on the Vicks booster being too long. See: Brake Booster Adjustment? Dragging brakes and: Power brake booster

An alternative to buying a new booster might be having your existing one rebuilt by Karps or Brake Materials & Parts. Although neither company's website mentions ATE, I would contact them before giving up on rebuilding. Of course, if your spare works OK, that would be a cheaper solution.

I've heard of a pin or shaft that can break in the pedal cluster?
Yes, the pin that secures the pedal to the shaft can be a bear to get out. But you shouldn't have to disassemble that.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,470 Posts
Whatever booster you get, you need to adjust the pin to match the brake MC. If your current booster is set up correctly you can usually just set the new one to match, or you can do some math with a plunge caliper.

Yes, the pin that secures the pedal to the shaft can be a bear to get out. But you shouldn't have to disassemble that.
With the pedal box out of the car it's pretty easy to remove: you just loosen the nut and whale on it with a hammer. But you only need to do this if you're replacing the clutch lever (which you probably do want to do if yours is not the uprated version.)

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the booster out. Found the cause of the booster leak...the tension spring in the rear seal has disintegrated. If I can get that seal out I should be able to find a number on it and do some cross reference searches and locate a replacement. If that's all that is wrong with the booster. The inside was dry, no damage from a leaking MC.

And the pivot shaft and tapered pin came out easy. Bushings in good shape and still lubed.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts