Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start this note with an Audi and finish with an Alfa (Giulia GT of course).

I'm always pretty careful with our cars and park in places less likely to produce door dings etc. Last Saturday having parked in a nice safe spot where nobody could park next to me, I visited our local grocery store to pick up a few things. Upon returning to the car, a nice little Audi A3, I found a grocery cart resting against the driver side door. I pulled the cart away to reveal 3 large dimples (w/ appropriate chipped paint) in a vertical pattern. Clearly someone had lost control of their cart somewhere across a drive aisle in a separate part of the lot. It made its way downhill to my door. I was furious:mad:. I looked around but of course nobody was there to witness the act - not that it would have done any good. I went home, steaming, opened the refridgerator and out falls a bowl of cherries which then shatters all across the floor. OK. Tested. Said a few choice words then cleaned up the mess. Started the insurance process Monday.

I went out to the garage early this morning as I had to get the Audi to the shop for some scheduled maintenance. Something was amiss. The stack of Panasports w/ Bridgestones was askew. I look across to where my 69 GT jr. resides when not buzzing around and my heart sank. There on the hood, windshield and roof were all the pieces and parts of stuff I have stored in overhead for years. The previous owner had bridged a couple of the beams w/ some 2X2's.

Parts of a drafting table, a folding card table, a backpack, skis, old screen material - all on the car. The roof, both front fenders and hood all are dented and scratched. The windshield has cracked. I was totally shocked:eek:. I couldn't bear to look in too much detail as I needed to get on with my day (and didn't want too get to much more upset) but will have to return to the scene tonight. This car was in good straight shape. I'll post some pix in an attempt to gain some sympathy I guess.

In hindsight, it was mine to control. I should have inspected how securely the PO had fastened the boards. I probably did at one time but have now been in this house for 19 years. I recently brought home some nice steel shelves from work a bit ago and was going to rig those up to the underside of the roof to provide more (and more secure) storage. The shelves still sit against the side wall. My inaction and lack of attention allowed this. I'm so bummed:(.

Oh yeah, some of the stuff fell on the A3. I now have more scapes and dents on the DS door, new ones on the FL fender and mirror. This car was pristine before Saturday. I've opened up a second claim for this stuff. I'll open up one for the Alfa as that's a different carrier. Probably have to open one w/ the homeowners insurance too. 4 claims. 3 days. Wow.

Lastly, the shop just called. They won't be done with the Audi today. I'm stranded at work. What a hoot!

So, look up and if you see a need to act, do.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That's a major bummer. I suggest you find a old trash can and give it a good hard KICK to release some tension! Just make sure no cars are nearby!

One day at work when things were going particularly badly, I kicked the waste paper bin from one end of the office passageway to the other. I got some strange looks from colleagues, but it made me feel a whole lot better!

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
things are looking up

well actually just writing this helped get some of the anger and frustration out.
It took a day before I actually removed all the stuff and photograhed the damage - just didn't want to face it the first day. Not as bad as first feared though still pretty bad.
I will get something out of my insurance fortunately and will probably put that toward the bodywork and repaint to original I've been wanting to do.
In the meantime though there's a big divot in the front center of the top (or is the bonnet down under?) and lots of dents & dings on the hood and (mostly) right fender. Driveable though and that's where I can discard the rest of the frustration. Or maybe it'll make it work staring over the hood at speed.

Thanks for the sympathy and hope your foot survived punting the wastecan.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Your story has given me an extra "push" to give the overhead storage in my garage a rebuild. I have been storing things there for the past 7 years. I know that the PO did not build it the way I would and I need to get after the project, which I will now do. So thanks for venting here and hopefully I will be spared a similiar "event". I wish you well with your repairs and hope all goes smoothly. ;)
Charles

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I think that even if you park at the extreme corner of a lot, someone is going to park next to you. When I go to parking lots :eek:, I always park uphill. Sorry for your misfortune.:(

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I feel bad for you. I hope you can get it all sorted soon!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sometimes bad things happen and you say why is this happening to me.
Well it could be worse.
I hope when your beloved GT has a new coat of paint and you take it for a drive you 'll forget what happened.
There is a saying that sais every obstacle in your life is for a good cause...
It is better if you are an optimist so look forward for your clean and tidy garage and the nice weekend drives with your Giulia... :eek:

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the kind words - they are very appreciated and helpful - this is a great community!

I will get it all sorted out and I now have the impetus to possibly take the long thought of / desired bodywork possibly to the next level At least a guy can dream, right? I already have visions of how it will look in its original Grigio Medio Metallizzato. Then there's the interior redo and the engine bay detailing...

Like ChazzyD, I now have a great overhead storage area made of (steel wiire) metro shelving rigged up with erector set sorta perforated angle metal. You could store an Alfa on it.

Thanks again ya'll

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
things are moving forward

Well, things are looking up.

My insurer has determined a reasonable cash settlement - very fair and I'd be happy to share the firm via a PM as they were very professional and efficient. With this, I'm starting to think I will move forward with a more comprehensive restoration of the bodywork where I'll have to fund any difference. I'll do as much as I can stripping the trim, mechanicals and interior and get it to a properly qualified bodyshop (Vintage Customs maybe?) for the real work. Of course it's all a dream right now. I was lucky enough to talk with Daron on his way back from Concorso Italiano and we think this may be a fun one with not too many hidden problems.

So the debate starts - give me (us - my lovely wife is engaged in this too) - your thoughts about body and interior colors. Original was medium gray metallic but currently is AR 514 or AR 555 - a very orange red. I get so confused by all the offerings from Tubuts sticky! I'm thinking back to original (though the rest of the car is not), red or maybe a yellow?
Interior should be the original wild boar - medium tan. So any guidance on the door panels would be helpful too.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
356 Posts
My personal opinion and what I do with my vehicles it "Keep it original!"
I am a fan for originality.
I even have the 165 tyre size on my Junior and the factory outside and inside colours.
It gives the car more value and most important it saves you from a lot of dillemas:confused:!

Good luck choosing!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Go back to original, there are way to many red Alfa's out there. Personally, I don't think GTVs look good in yellow (many will make the same statement about black or very dark blue, but I like both colors) but thats just me. Its your car so do what you want.

Will

·
Registered
418 Posts
Medium Grey Metallic would look beautiful. I say go for it.

What colour is the interior? Would look stunning in red to go with the Metallic paint :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts