Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read related threads, but nothing seems to match what I’m experiencing. My dash lights for the volt meter and pressure gauge light up find. The tach and speedometer do not get illuminated. I swapped the volt meter and speedometer bulbs and the situation remains consistent. So it's not the bulb, right? This leads me to a second concern. How many bulbs are there? When I swapped the bulbs I thought there would be only one bulb per gauge. As I later read reatedr threads, I noticed someone mention 4 bulbs for the tach and speedometer each. If this is true, are the bulbs in series. Meaning, if one bulb is bad, then the whole gauge doesn’t light up. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.
Alan
86 Grad

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
The cluster diagram shows a total of seven bulbs with only one each for speedo & tach. None of the bulbs are wired in series.
Since two of the bulbs work, this would rule out power and ground to the cluster. Swapping in a known good bulb that results in the bulb not working would seem to indicate that either the bulb holder or the cluster circuit board are at fault.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for repsonding. I used the same bulb holders when I swapped the bulbs. I didn't pull the ulbs from their holders. Looks like its the circuit board. Now what? I read something about alternative lighting methods (LEDs). I guess that may be the best way to go. I'll have to research more.
Alan
86 Grad

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
LED's work well if you get the type specifically for that use.

The upside is they draw way less voltage.

The downside is they are somewhat horrifically expensive for quality ones. (EG: to do a complete dual pod dash it'll run upwards of $100 for the Autometer version)

If getting the conventional bulbs is the concern, no worries, it's the same kind of bulb used in almost every dashboard of every car made since the 1970's.

Parts stores and junkyards are full of them and the twistlock connectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts