Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My regular commuter is in for repairs so the '89 Graduate has been pulling commuter duty this week. I should tell you that my daily commute is 88 miles EACH WAY! (Thank you crappy economy)....

Anyway, I am averaging 30 mpg and the car is a blast to drive. I had forgotten what it was like to drive a rickety old sports car on a daily basis. I haven't done that since the mid 1980's when my daily driver was a 1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500. The Alfa gets lots of stares, "thumbs up" and always gets a few comments at the gas station.

I am really liking this car! When I drove my 2004 Porsche 40th Anniversary 911 I always got dirty looks or snide comments about "it must be nice....". The Alfa gets none of that. People ask what it is, what size is the engine, etc. So far all the comments are favorable! :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
yep, my daily is an 89 grad as well, i put in about 80 miles a day. Its great on the highway, specially after puting new shocks a couple weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
I agree. I rebuilt a buddys 70 911T and drove it for about a year and it not being new didn't get quite the same reaction but I can definitly say I get more thumbs up driving my daily driver 74 GTV. Can't wait to get my 74 Spider back together but it's just to dang cold to paint right now.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hey Bill - glad to hear it. I'm up in Charleston and for the most part, people look at me like I'm riding a unicycle. There are no odd ball cars up here. No old cars at all either. Odd. I might've seen 1-2 Alfas in the past couple years, but certainly haven't seen their owners up on here.

Anyway - these are fun old cars, and they really get into your blood.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Old?

My regular commuter is in for repairs so the '89 Graduate has been pulling commuter duty this week. I should tell you that my daily commute is 88 miles EACH WAY! (Thank you crappy economy)....

Anyway, I am averaging 30 mpg and the car is a blast to drive. I had forgotten what it was like to drive a rickety old sports car on a daily basis. I haven't done that since the mid 1980's when my daily driver was a 1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500. The Alfa gets lots of stares, "thumbs up" and always gets a few comments at the gas station.

I am really liking this car! When I drove my 2004 Porsche 40th Anniversary 911 I always got dirty looks or snide comments about "it must be nice....". The Alfa gets none of that. People ask what it is, what size is the engine, etc. So far all the comments are favorable! :D
"rickety old sports car....."

You got sum nerve....1967 Duetto, now that's a rickety old sports car....:D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Rickety might be in the eye of the beholder... my Spiders probably qualify. The '88 Quad shares commuting duty with the truck for a 60 mile round trip. Makes the drive a lot more fun, particularly when the top can go down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Bill - glad to hear it. I'm up in Charleston and for the most part, people look at me like I'm riding a unicycle. There are no odd ball cars up here. No old cars at all either. Odd. I might've seen 1-2 Alfas in the past couple years, but certainly haven't seen their owners up on here.

Anyway - these are fun old cars, and they really get into your blood.
I got my car out of Charleston....it was over at Charleston Automotive Imports off of Ashley Phosphate. I went to high school with the owner, Darryl, back in the day. He may not admit to owning it but I used to helped him work on his first car...a 1966 Corvair!

When I lived in Goose Creek back in the early 1990's I had a 1962 Austin Healey 3000 tri-carb. There weren't many of those around either! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts